Thursday, April 19, 2012

Comfort

“By faith Moses, when he had grown up, refused to be known as the son of Pharaoh’s daughter. He chose to be mistreated along with the people of God rather than to enjoy the fleeting pleasures of sin. He regarded disgrace for the sake of Christ as of greater value than the treasures of Egypt, because he was looking ahead to his reward. By faith he left Egypt, not fearing the king’s anger; he persevered because he saw him who is invisible” Hebrews 11:24-27

Moses persevered because he saw Him who is invisible! I love this. This spoke to the depths of my heart when I read it because don’t we all have our Egypts? The places or things we know we should leave or the ones we wish to go back to but it’s just a fleeting pleasure. It could be anything, big or small, it’s different for everyone. It could be a relationship that you know is not healthy, a job that pushed the ethics envelop, maybe the indulgence of dessert a little to frequently, another pair of shoes, a good book or movie that you can just get lost in.

It is that stuff that makes us all comfortable. But, sometimes that stuff is what keeps us from a right relationship with our Heavenly Father. Seeking comfort in areas where we should be running into the arms that will never leave us or forsake us can really hinder that relationship. God wants to be our comfort, our security, our refuge. He doesn’t want us to turn to substitutes when he is right there waiting.

Take the Israelites for example, seeing God perform one miracle after another. A huge one being that He heard their cries for help in the first place and delivered them out of Egypt. Yet, the minute something was uncomfortable, “Oh why didn’t you just leave us in Egypt? Did you bring us all the way out to the desert to die?” Whine, whine, whine. They forgot so quickly what Egypt really held for them, that they were getting just what they asked for and just who their God was.

“Surely the arm of the LORD is not too short to save, nor his ear too dull to hear.” Isaiah 59:1

Man, I do not want to be that annoying. But, I fear that I probably am.

Lord, I pray that you would search me and know my heart, test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me and lead me in the way everlasting (Psalm 139:23-24).

To be the mom I desire to be, one my kids can love and look up to, one whose example they can follow. I have got to have things right in my own heart. I have to look to the One who is invisible and not seek the fleeting pleasures of my Egypts but instead run into the arms of my Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment