Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Being Held Up



Over Spring Break we traveled to visit Rick's family and spend the week with them. On the road trip back, we stopped at a rest stop with a scenic overlook, and we allowed our 1 year old, Susannah, to practice her new found walking skills as we trotted up the path to the overlook spot. She was doing a great job, when all of the sudden she stumbled and almost hit the ground. There she was, dangling, barely escaping scraped knees, tears, and injury, only being held up and supported by my right hand.

She steadied herself, and we continued, at times with me carrying her, until we got to the overlook. It was then as I recounted her near fall to my husband that I saw this perfect picture of what the Lord does for us when we stumble. I can very clearly remember times I have felt I was dangling just like Susie, completely boneless and clinging to the Lord to hold me up. Just like in the poem, Footprints, I too can clearly and wholeheartedly recall times I could not go on, and the Lord picked me up and carried me through. We have all had those seasons as will our children.

Our kids need to "fall" to experience the fullness of the Lord's mercy and grace. But as moms we rest in God's promise to uphold them and us with His righteous right hand.  He will never leave us or forsake us. He will carry us through the times we are too weary to go on. And much like that scenic overlook, at the end of our walk is great reward.

Dear Father, I praise You for Your promise to uphold me and my family with Your mighty and righteous right hand. I pray that my children will only fall far enough to be humbled, changed, and truly appreciative of Your mercy and grace, but never so far as to veer off the path You have laid out for them. When they are weary and weak, I pray that You will carry them through those difficult seasons and that they would daily choose You and choose life no matter what the circumstances. Please give me wisdom to know when to let go and allow them to fall and gain their own wisdom and understanding and when to shelter and protect them. I look to You for the wisdom to raise these children to be true disciples of Jesus Christ. In Your holy and precious Name I pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment