Thursday, April 12, 2012

His Masterpiece



Every day when we are sitting around the table doing school there are a few things that I can guarantee: there will be complaining from one of the children and probably me, we will get off task, and my one son will always interrupt another siblings lesson because what ever he is having a hard time with is more important and he needs help NOW! Every day. I explain to him every single day, “If you have a problem move to the next one until I am done. Do not interrupt. This child’s lessons are just as important as yours. Be patient.”

Now I am sure, mainly because I have read them, that there are some great parenting books that would tell me this happening on a daily bases is my own fault. My mom would just tell me I need to watch super nanny. I am sure it is my fault, which makes it all the more frustrating. Anyway this one child, in particular, is the most persistent little child I have ever met and many who know him would agree. He knows what he wants and he does not give up without a fight.

Since birth he has been this way. He refused to take bottles he would only nurse. My mother-in-law said, “just leave him with me he will eat when he is hungry.” Oh, no he won’t. The kid nearly dehydrated because he would not eat. I bought every bottle and every nipple available at the Babies R Us. Nothing worked. He knew what he wanted and he was gonna fight for it.

If he knows in advance that there is something fun that will be happening later in the day. He will demand it come quicker. He is ready the minute he gets out of bed. He will even skip meals to speed things along. I know it is normal for children to be excited and ask about something throughout the day but he is above average in this area.

If he wants me for anything he doesn’t just say mom once, it’s “mom, mom, mom, mom, mom.” It doesn’t matter how many times I say, “Buddy, I heard you on the first mom” he just has to use the word mom in multiples. He knows what he wants and this is his way of fighting for it.

Like I said he is a very persistent little guy and as annoying as that can be sometimes I can see that God will use his persistence for good. He is God’s masterpiece. God has good things planned out for him to do. He has had them planned out since before he was born. As his mom I pray that God will help me to see my son through His eyes. I want to encourage that fight in him, encourage the fight for good. I don’t want to just see the frustrating parts of it I want to bring out the good.

I encourage you today to ask God to help you see your child through His eyes. Pray that God would give you a glimpse of His masterpiece in your child. Maybe those things that sometimes bring you frustration God will have a way to use them for His good. And while you are doing that remember that you too are God’s masterpiece and He is still working on you. He has plenty of good things planned for you starting with the good you can do in the lives of the little ones he has blessed you with.

“For we are God’s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus so we can do good things he planned for us long ago.” Ephesians 2:10

No comments:

Post a Comment