Thursday, October 23, 2014

Take the Time

Ephesians 5:15-17 - Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, making the best use of the time, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is.


There was a break in our normal routine this week. Daddy was home. Taking time off from work to help me get organized and create a better schedule with homeschooling. A struggle for me as I am the most unorganized mommy you will probably ever meet :) But God has given me reprieve - as my hubby offered to help with this struggle.

So, my husband took my oldest to therapy as I straightened up and got ready for the next "lesson" when my middle son asked me to sit. Just sit and read him a book. A simple request, but in the moment my flesh wanted to get up and rush to the laundry and fold it, as I had one less child and much to do in that hour. But I chose to pause. PAUSE. NOTE: as a mom this is challenging to do as it seems like your list never fully gets done each day with things pouring over into the next day's "list". 

But as I paused, something beautiful happened. I sat down with the kiddos curled up in my lap and enjoyed a book we have read before, but it was the experience of just pausing. I was so blessed as my baby crawled up too and it was a special moment I will cherish as each had their head on the other as they intently listened as I read. 

If I had gone to the laundry instead of pausing, I would have had one more check on my list but I would have missed that moment. A blessing. I want to pause more often. These moments go quick and will soon be gone. The kids will be older and in a different season. I want to pause and enjoy life with my kids more. 

How are you doing with taking a pause every now and then?

Allow those pauses to be a time to refresh and reflect on the beauty of motherhood that so often we take for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment