Wednesday, October 22, 2014

No Voice to Yell


When you are sick and have “NO VOICE TO YELL,” what do you do?  How do you get your kids to do anything?  I recently found out.

Back when I was a brand new mom I heard another more seasoned mom talk about how the only way she could get through to her kid was to yell.  I thought that was ridiculous and that she must not be as mature as I was… HA!  Little did I know that a couple years down the line I’d find myself in that same rut.  For a while now I have been struggling with this pattern of yelling I had set as the communication method – mom to kids.  How did I get here and how do I get out?!  Yes, I know there are tons of books about the issue but I didn’t want to read them nor did I have time to. 

My Ah-ha! moment:  The other day a friend was counseling me about how to handle a situation with another adult and she said, “don’t let what is going on in the other person’s life take your peace away from you.”  Then she said these brilliant words, “you keep your peace.”  DING!  Wow, I sang blessing songs to her over the phone because she solved my yelling dilemma – KEEP YOUR PEACE MOMMA. 

It dawned on me that I needed to get my peace from the Peace Maker Himself.  Like I say all the time, our kids are watching.  Let's set a pattern of going to the Peacemaker and practicing some good ole' self-control.  Our kids will learn how to be self-controlled themselves reducing frustrating moments.  DING! 
"and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:7
"And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to which also you were called in one body; and be thankful." Colossians 3:15
“Great peace have those who love Your law, And nothing causes them to stumble.” Psalm 119:165
“He makes peace in your borders, And fills you with the finest wheat.” Psalm 147:14
“All your children shall be taught by the Lord, And great shall be the peace of your children.” Isaiah 54:13

Peace be with you.

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully written! Much needed! A blessing to read!

    ReplyDelete