Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Unexpected Blessing

I have not been a great volunteer in the past four years, I have to admit. Since having Cooper and Griffin, my days have been filled with diapers, nursing, naps, waking in the middle of the night to feed babies, calm little fears, and have left very little time to give to other people. But when we moved here to Florida I decided that I was going to try to become more involved. Our boys now past the age of three, I really wanted to look for ways to volunteer at our church, listen for opportunities to serve, and minister to this new population of people. I was ready and I wondered where God would use me? We had come from a church where we felt very served by the people in the congregation and now wanted to be a part of that for other people. So, when we found a small neighborhood church near our house that was just starting out we felt it would be a great chance to be on the serving end of things and step in where there was a need.

Shortly after settling into our new home, there was an opportunity to volunteer in my son's Sunday school class for 3-6 year olds. I was finally doing it. I was going to serve my boys and their new little friends and teach them about Jesus. They were going to memorize Bible verses, sing songs, listen to stories...I was committed and I was ready to jump in where I felt God was leading.

I was given the pre-school curriculum thinking, "Oh, good. I get to teach all the old familiar Old Testament stories this quarter. Noah and the Ark, Moses and the Red Sea, Joseph and the coat of many colors...what a priviledge that I get to teach them some of these first Bible stories." I had heard these stories over and over as a kid, so it was exciting to think that along with all the other kids in their class, my two boys were going to learn about God's promises and his faithfulness over and over again in these first chpts of the Bible.

But God had something in store for me, too.

God is so good.

When we moved here I was a little afraid. I didn't know Florida, let alone south Florida. The only time we had ever come was to vacation, so that was the picture I had in mind. I was afraid of the unknown and I was clinging to a trust that I knew was the only thing that'd keep me going when times got tough in this new part of our journey. But God knew that. And He is faithful.

The stories that have been part of the Sunday school curriculum these last 12 weeks have all centered around the same thing: God's faithfulness. Abraham and Sarah trusted God and they were given a son. Moses trusted God and walked his people through the Red Sea. Joseph trusted God in jail while innocent and God delivered him. Daniel (in a lion's den) trusted in God and his life was spared. Noah trusted God and built a boat. At a time when I finally felt like I was going to serve, God had given back 100 times the blessing that I could ever be to another. To my surprise, He has comforted me through scripture that has been part of the core of this pre-school curriculum. So much so that I feel humbled to have thought that these little pre-schoolers were going to be the only ones really learning. Isn't that just like God? To meet us where we are (even in the midst of trying to serve others) to strengthen and comfort us all the while. Like a rushing stream of cool water to refresh us on our journey.

Even writing for this blog I've thought this is where God is leading me--to serve other mommies for a time. But oh, how much more blessed have I been through reading the other entries day to day.

I look at our fridge which is plastered with Sunday school verses in big purple and green print--all of which speak directly to my heart and I think to myself how big our God is. At a moment when I think I am going to witness to someone else, He whispers to me, "Sweet child, I love you. And I've got you." And I am humbled.

Here are just a few:

"God said, I am with you and will watch over you wherever you go." -Genesis 28:15a

"The Lord is faithful to all his promises." -Psalm 145:13b

"God said, I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you." -Isaiah 41:10b

You know, sometimes us moms think we have to have it all together for our kids. We have to become a near perfect version of ourselves before we have something to teach, give, pass on to them. But I don't believe God sees it that way. I loved Maggie's "Silence" blog this week, because it emphasizes how very big our God is. That if we let Him, he will create in our children what we all desire--a love for Him and a desire to do His will.

And if we will open our hearts as moms, we may learn as much if not more about how big He really is. He will meet us there. He will bless us and we will walk away refreshed.

I have such a thankful heart this week for how much God has provided this year for our family. I know some of you have similar stories and I just praise him and give him all the glory this Thanksgiving!

Lord,
I just praise you for all of the blessings that you have given this past year. It goes way beyond earthly things, God. You have provided comfort when I was worried or afraid. Peace when we didn't have answers. And wonderful people that have treated us like family. It is this kind of blessing that shines through all the darkness of this world. You, Lord, have provided so much. I pray that we might all look beyond to the things that truly matter this holiday and come humbly to you in thanksgiving. We deserve nothing and yet you give us so much. For this, we give our thanks.
In Jesus' Name,
Amen.













"

No comments:

Post a Comment