Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Thank God!









Last week the girls were playing in their bedroom when I heard Susannah let out an awful scream and begin crying. I walked in to find Selah standing on her bed reaching across the top of her dresser and a toy Christmas tree on the floor next to Susie, who was crying and holding her eyes. I thought the worst. It took a while to calm her down enough to get a look at the eye. That in and of itself added to my concern, as Susie is my tough one. She only lets out a little grunt when given a shot, and her cries typically never last for very long.


Once Rick and I were able to examine the eye, we saw what appeared to be a scratch on the surface of her left eye on the white part. Wouldn't you know it? It was a Sunday. So, I called and left a voice mail for my pediatrician while we contemplated taking her to the ER or walk-in clinic. By this time she was happy again, playing and munching on a snack as if nothing had happened. She was able to focus and grab things as usual, so we decided to wait to hear back from the doctor. She told me to bring Susie in the following morning, and look for certain signs that would mean we need to get her in somewhere sooner.

After a visit to the pediatrician followed by another trip to a pediatric ophthalmologist, the prognosis was a scratch that did not effect her vision and would heal on its own. Praise the Lord! He really protected my baby that day. And that is not the first time.

When we found out we were pregnant with Susannah, I had just accepted a position to return to work teaching middle school. I was 2 days late but convinced it was stress or something else. I couldn't be pregnant... but I was. We have always said God's timing with our kids, and we were really excited to have another precious baby in our lives. Then 2 days later I began spotting pretty heavily and was at high risk of miscarrying. I asked the Lord through my tears why He would allow me to take the test if we were just going to lose the baby. I could have just thought my cycle was late and never had known what I had lost. The next two weeks I continued to spot and pray continually. Finally, it ended, and our baby was okay. I cry just remembering the joy and relief. Susannah has always been in God's hand of protection.



These days, I continue to need His protecting hand. I have pulled so many random objects out of Susie's mouth since she began to crawl that I once even started a collection with plans to take a photo and blog about it. Then I absentmindedly threw my collection away while cleaning. She has chewed on leaves, small toy parts, plastic bag pieces (you know, those little tabs that come off of grocery store bags), cat food, pillow stuffing, and some other things I would rather not mention. Any of which could have choked her or made her sick. Praise the Lord for His protection and for the finger sweeps that got those things out of her little mouth in time!

The fact is that no matter how closely we watch our children, stuff happens. We are called to protect them as their Mommy, but ultimately, they are protected by their Mighty Father who never takes His eyes off of them for a second.


I have a tendency to be a fearful person by nature when it comes to my kids. How can you watch the news and not be these days? Stories of molestation, abductions, and the like fill our minds and hearts with fear of something bad happening to those whom we hold most dear and have been given the job of nurturing and protecting. I would lay down my life for my kids and would fight to the very end to protect them. I believe we all would. But the fact is that that job is already taken. They are in God's hands. He is my protector and theirs. He who knows every strand on their head is in charge, and I must put my faith and trust in Him when it comes to everything in my life, including and especially my kids.

This Thanksgiving, I pause to thank the Lord for His mighty hand of protection and provision as well as for my husband and our wonderful little girls. I thank Him for the things He has protected me from as well as for His protection of my family. I renew my trust in Him in all areas of my life and with the lives of our children. I pray you will do the same! He is faithful and worthy!

What has the Lord protected you from in your life? Are there times you can recall when He has protected your children from harm? Do you fully trust Him with your life and the lives of your children? Have you thanked Him for His protection lately?

Oh Mighty God, my protector and provider. I praise you for your constant watchful eye in the life of my family. Thank you for the things you have protected them from, both known and unknown. I place my children in Your hands Father, knowing that You are in control and love them even more than my husband and I do. I trust you with my life and with theirs. Thank you for all of the blessings you continue to bestow upon us. We are yours, Lord. In Jesus' name, Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Amen, Tammy! Thank you for the thoughtful reflection on the MANY times God has rescued me and my kids from harm. He is soooo good! Thank you for your blog! It really helped me put things in perspective. :) Teresa

    ReplyDelete