Sunday, November 6, 2011

Rejecting Change

Contributed by our Guest Blogger Sheila

1 Peter 4:12-13, "Dear friends, do not be surprised at the painful trial you are suffering, as though something strange were happening to you. But rejoice that you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when his glory is revealed" (NIV).



Sixth grade! I remember it well!! Going from public school to Catholic school was quite a change; new uniforms, a new haircut (like a boy), and new friends (because I knew no one.) Not to mention the changes I was going through physically and emotionally. At first I was kind of excited because of the popularity I held in elementary. I thought for sure I would make tons of friends and be on top of the mountain again. Little did I know it would be a tough year of change and trials. When I look back at the struggles of that year I realize I built a lot of character. You see, I got picked on the entire year. I made 3 friends and they were considered the “nerds” or “outcasts” of the school. I realized what true friendship was. I grew to appreciate people for their inner qualities. I found out that one shouldn’t be judged by appearance, and most of all I now had a feel for the “other side.” I had been one of those mean girls already by the young age of 11. I was selfish and conceited entering the 6th grade but boy was I humbled when I exited.


As we ended last year for my oldest daughter in fifth grade we really struggled with the fact that God may be closing the door for keeping her in the great Christian school she attended. I personally LOVE the school and am very close to many of the people there being she has attended for 5 years and we also attend the church. For me it was a no brainer. I will work extra hard to keep her there!! But, as we prayed and my husband, who has an amazing gentle spirit and heart for God to lead our family, revealed things about our situation I realized this wasn’t going to work. I have 2 toddlers who are still home with me I can’t do extra hours away from home. I began to question if I should home school and we even began to look into public and charter schools. My heart broke! I remember saying, ”Lord, truly you have a better plan! I know the public school system in this area and I know my daughter please God I don’t want her to hurt like I did.”



Deuteronomy 31:8, "The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged." (NIV)



God did what only a loving father with a better plan would do. He opened a door for another Christian school and kept the door closed on the one I truly LOVE. Well, you might think I immediately thanked Him and got on my knees because He obviously knows better then I. But being the ungrateful daughter that I am, I semi-smiled and hoped He would change His mind at the last minute. I thought about my daughter who had a close knit group of friends, who had auditioned for and made the next big theatre/dance performance she would now miss, and the different things she and I had looked forward to in middle school and was sad for her (and I). I watched as tears would well up in her eyes daily as the summer came closer and closer to an end and the reality was beginning to sink in that she would not be in her comfortable, beloved environment and my heart broke for her. I was relieved but praying all the while that we might be able to still stay at the school He put us in 5 years ago.
Ephesians 2:10 ,”For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.”



I grew up in a household where we knew who Jesus was but didn’t attend church. I believed in Him because I was told to, but that personal relationship was missing. The “why” was not taught. One day it occurred to me how ungrateful I had been. I was in tears as I realized that truly God had gifted us this new school. I thought about the lessons I had learned in 6th grade and how if I had not gone through those trials I would not have changed my ways on into high school. I prayed at that moment that instead of rejecting change I would be there for my daughter when she hit forks and had hard lessons. I would instill the character of God into her, as Courtney said, so she can see that even when we don’t understand why things happen we can look on at the promises and loving heart of God and know He has a plan to prosper us not hurt us. I would point her to the Bible when she had relational conflicts to see the ways to handle them. I thought about how so many times the Lord changed things in my life and made things uncomfortable for a season only to grow me and give me rewards that were immeasurable! That had I not gone through the many changes I would not be here with the Lord today. What was I even thinking about withholding these experiences from my daughter?! So many times as parents we want to protect and not have our kids feel disappointment so bad that we are hindering them from the true blessings that God has held for them. I didn’t have the spiritual council at her age to depend on during these times but I made a promise to the Lord to do my best to take the hardships and help her to see His heart through it.



There have been a few new and rough trials already this year and my husband and I have been able to support and keep her focused on God encouraging her through them. She has seen the hand of the Lord work for her and identified His character through her trials. For this I am soooo grateful! God always know what He is doing! We may want to fight Him on things but it is His plan that gives peace. I can’t wait to see the amazing woman my daughter will be! I see His hand all over her and I know He is doing amazing things in her and my life!!


2 Chronicles 16:9, "For the eyes of the LORD range throughout the earth to strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to him." (NIV)


Application
Think of times you may have tried to impose your plan on the Lord’s plan. Remember the outcome? What do you think would have happened if you totally surrendered to His plan? Pray and ask God’s for forgiveness if needed.

Heavenly Father, I know you have my best interest in mind. Help me Lord to fully give you control of every situation having faith that You are the almighty, all-knowing God who wants good for your children. Forgive me when I take the wheel to my life thinking I would know better then you. Thank you God for loving me like only you can and turning my messes into miracles. I love you Jesus.
Amen

2 comments:

  1. Beautifully written Sheila! Ahh my heart went out to both you and your daughter as I read your blog. It reminded me of my own struggles as a young girl who didn't have Jesus to rely on. Thank the Lord for his guidance today with our children in their daily life decisions and struggles...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great devotional, Sheila! As you know, my family and I are going through a time of change. It's not easy...for a sixth grader or an adult. BUT our God is soooo good...and faithful! Thank you for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete