Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Stored Treasures






When I was pregnant with Selah (my first), a friend of mine bought us a bunch of Disney princess dolls when she found out it was a girl. My husband Rick put up shelves in the bedroom in preparation for Selah's arrival, and we filled one shelf with these dolls along with some other stuffed animals, books, and collectibles we received as gifts. Selah is now 2, and the other day she asked to play with the dolls that were up on the shelf. She has never seen any of the movies, but she knows the characters from books and toys she sees in the store. When she initially asked, we were getting ready to head out the door, so I explained she could play with them later.



A small part of me was very hesitant to open the boxes. I mean, they had been on that shelf for more than 2 years, and wouldn't they be worth something if left in the original boxes? I thought to myself how silly I was being. First, I am not the type to collect and sell these kinds of things, and second, they are toys, and toys were made to be played with. So, the next time Selah asked, we opened one box at a time, removed the shoes and other small parts little Susannah could choke on, and off she went into a world of make believe with her new toys. She makes them dance, sing, pray, jump, and even shares some of her snacks with them. One or two are always placed gingerly in the diaper bag by Selah before we head out the door, and from time to time, she will even tuck one in next to her as she gets warm and cozy for nap or bedtime.



It makes me think about how we want to teach our children to think of "things". Each has its purpose and use. We need to care for our things and not abuse them while at the same time see them as objects that are nice to have but not to be treasured to a state of covetousness, selfishness, or idolatry. Had I kept them up on a shelf to collect dust in hopes that they would be worth something someday, I would have missed out on their real purpose and worth.

Many of our nice things have become not so nice anymore with stains on our "stain resistant" couch, torn "pretty" throw pillows, and scratches on my locket from teething babies. But, alas, they are just things. Stains can be cleaned, pillows can be sewn or replaced, but my kids are only kids for so long. I have set my mind to not get too upset at the wear and tear and just keep things in perspective.

My hope is to teach my kids how to take care of their things while at the same time putting them in their proper place, spiritually speaking. (... ummm, and literally!) I hope to expand this lesson to teach them to find more joy in giving than receiving (or at least as much joy, this is one lesson that takes time and maturity).

And through the process of teaching it, I hope to have it sink into my heart a little deeper as well. My hand mixer does the job, I do not need that fancy electric mixer. And it is not necessary to have another pair of shoes just because they will go perfectly with that dress. Whether we have the financial means or not- just because we can, doesn't mean we should.

Challenge for this week- To put "things" into perspective, especially with the Christmas season fast approaching. What are my weaknesses in this area? Examine myself and my children for behaviors of selfishness, covetousness, or even idolatry, and begin to ask God for help in changing our hearts and mindsets regarding 'stuff'.

Prayer- Jehovah Jireh, You are our provider. You supply all my needs according to Your riches and glory and go above to bless me beyond that. I pray that I will see 'things' for what they are and not allow them to become idols or shape my character in a way that does not bring You glory. Please help me to teach my children to balance respecting and caring for the blessings You give while at the same time not having selfish and covetous hearts. May we store up treasures in heaven and keep our heart and minds ever focused on You. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for putting this into perspective, Tammy. Especially with little ones, it's important not to cling too tightly to what we have. So true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great point! It's so cute how they cherish their things that sometimes we forget to teach that that's what they are...things! God has such greater treasures for us! Thanks for bringing this to light. Love the pics too ;)

    ReplyDelete