Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thanksgiving

"Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstance, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."

Thessalonians 5:16-17


This week I had my kids write down what they were thankful for. The younger ones I had them tell me what they were thankful for and I wrote it down. Since today is Thanksgiving I thought I would share with you what they had to say. I tried to stay word for word on what they said and for the older I did correct their spelling on here but left everything else just the way they wrote it. You will notice with Boston that we just learned about the comma. Here is what they are thankful for:

Alexis:
I am thankful my family is going to be here for Thanksgiving!
I am thankful God gave us a beautiful house!
I am thankful for a beautiful family that loves me!
I am thankful for friends!
I am thankful for food!
I am thankful that God loves me!
I am thankful for a mom that loves to make desserts!
I am thankful for Po! (Po is the hamster)
I am thankful for hope!

Boston:
I am thankful for my dad coming home for Thanksgiving, Grandma, Papa, my cousins, aunt and uncle. This will be the best Thanksgiving ever. I am thankful for my mom that makes me food, this big home, the clothes that my mom buys me.

Xavier:
I love Aunt Jaicy. I love Uncle Dallas. I love Aunt Jenni. I love my mom. I love Quincie. I love my mom. I am thankful for Boston. I love my dad. I love Jesus. I am thankful for Gus and Cameron and Bryce and Ben. I am thankful for the Bible. I am Thankful for Alexis. Is there anymore friends of mine? Oh, yeah, Josh, I am thankful for Josh. I love my dad.

Quincie:
I love you God. I love Emily and Ella is so cute. I like to play with Bryce and Cameron and Olivia and Bella. I am thankful for giving my toys away because it’s nice. I am thankful for Aunt Jaicy and Uncle Dallas cause they gave us a hamster. That’s all, actually one more thing. I am thankful for loving Boston because he has a hurt ankle. That’s all.

“From the fullness of his grace we have all received one blessing after another.”
John 1:16


We should count our blessings each day not just on thanksgiving. Imagine if we all made a list of things we are thankful for and kept them in a spot where we would see them each day. Aren’t there days where that would do wonders for your attitude? I know it would mine. There are days that it is hard to “be thankful in all circumstances.” I know I could use a good reminder that I do have things to be thankful for.

As I read the things my kids are thankful for, these are things that I can be thankful for in all circumstances. They were thankful for the relationships that God has blessed them with. They were also thankful for the roof over their heads and the food that they eat each day. On a rotten day, I still have all that. I am so very, very blessed.

I pray that on this Thanksgiving Day that each one of you has a blessed day where you remember all that God has given you and all that you have to be thankful for. And just as my kids did, make a list, so that when one of those days creeps up on you, you have a good reminder of all the blessings you have received.

2 comments:

  1. This was awesome...I know I'm thankful for all of you..Love You Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great suggestion of having a "Thanksgiving List" that we can look to in times of frustration. So often we focus on that one little thing that we don't have instead of the 99 other things the Lord has blessed us with :) Great job Courtney!

    ReplyDelete