Friday, July 18, 2014

What Are You Wearing?

 So, chosen by God for this new life of love, dress in the wardrobe God picked out for you: compassion, kindness, humility, quiet strength, discipline. Be even-tempered, content with second place, quick to forgive an offense. Forgive as quickly and completely as the Master forgave you. And regardless of what else you put on, wear love. It’s your basic, all-purpose garment. Never be without it. - Colossians 3:12-14

I love having a little girl. It is so much fun picking cute frilly things for her to wear, especially since I have two boys! Girls are different. We can accessorize. Play dress up. Have fun. We typically pay more attention to what we put on than boys.

I pay a lot of attention to what my kids put on each day before leaving the house. Nothing with holes in it or stains on it are allowed :) I am concerned with what they put on. But many times I miss the mark with what I put on. 

The above verse says to clothe myself in love. Not my love, but HIS love. A much more beautiful experience for others as they encounter HIS love vs. my fleshly one. I need to make sure each morning I am spending time in His love (the Word) so I can properly show it to others (my kids included) I encounter each day.

I read Colossians 3:12-14 the other night and it really resonated with me. I need to forgive more. I need to forgive with love more. I need compassion. Forgive quickly and completely just like Jesus does for me. This can definitely be a challenge, as a mom, when your kiddo seems to be struggling with the same sin day after day without a heart of repentance. But God doesn't give limitations on forgiveness. He just says do it! 

It's challenging, isn't it? 

HE knew it would be and that's why HE instructs us in the Word to put on LOVE, as a garment each day. If I put on LOVE, HIS love, each day, it sure would impact how my heart would push forgiveness. 

As I read Colossians 3, God challenged me with forgiveness, true forgiveness, with my kids.

How is HE challenging you?



No comments:

Post a Comment