Sunday, April 14, 2013

The Lord Our Helper



Last weekend, my family traveled to East Carolina University for my son to compete against other teams in the Odyssey of the Mind problem solving competition.  His team took second place in our region and the hope was, that after the State competition, they’d advance to the International tournament.

As a Mom, it was an amazing weekend as I had an opportunity to reflect on the many ways the Lord has worked in my son’s life.  In fact, I would’ve never imagined that he’d be capable of participating in a team event.  

Ten years ago, my son, Chase, was diagnosed with Asperger’s Syndrome.  At the time, it was a difficult diagnosis that took my husband and myself quite a bit of time to sort through.  Long story short, because Chase is an Aspie, he finds social interaction with peers very challenging and stressful.  Actually, this is the main reason I initially began homeschooling eight years ago.  Keeping him home has provided a stable, predictable environment for Chase that has allowed him to soar academically and pursue his passion in life; science.  He’s always enjoyed interacting with adults, but he’s never shown much of an interest in relating to kids around his age.  Until, Fall of last year.

When Chase was presented with the opportunity to join an Odyssey of the Mind team at a local Charter School,  he was initially very excited.  He’s an analytical, problem solving, techno type of guy.  In truth, he’s unapologetically nerdy :)  We knew this type of activity would fit him perfectly, provided he could learn to work with the four other boys on the team.  

For the past seven months, I’ve watched the Lord grow and stretch my son to do things, that neither my husband or I thought he’d ever do.  There were numerous days when he’d come home from practice, in tears, because the other boys either didn’t agree with him or, at times, even left him out.  

I think it’s a universal “Mom rule” that when our kids hurt, we hurt with them.  My natural instinct was to protect him by pulling him out; I hated to see him so discouraged.  But, thankfully the Lord used my husband to reassure me that this momentary difficulty would lead to great growth in Chase’s life.  So, when he would come home, teary-eyed and disheartened, we’d pray with him and tell him the Lord was going to use this.   After a few prayer/pep talks, we saw him begin to believe that the hard time he was going through was all part of God’s plan for him.   
  
Back to last weekend.  Chase’s team did not advance to the next level in competition and he was incredibly disappointed.  Yet, for the first time in my life, I saw my little boy, who recently turned thirteen, just being “one of the guys.”  When it came to take a team picture, another boy on the team even put his arm around Chase.  Never dreamed I’d see that happen.  And if that wasn’t enough to get me choked up, at the Awards Ceremony, when all of the teams were called on the coliseum floor to dance the “Cupid Shuffle,” Chase went with his team and followed along with the dance steps, as best as he could.  I stood watching like a blubbering fool and taking videos on my iPhone.  

I'm still in total awe, because I know only the Lord, could have gotten Chase to the point of participating and succeeding in a team situation.  Over the past ten years, I’ve cried buckets of tears praying over the struggles my son’s endured.  And as a family, we’ve worked hard to help him succeed in every area of his life.  But when it all comes down to it, our petitions and efforts are in vain without the Lord’s help.  He, alone, is the One who can help our children, especially when they face difficult circumstances.  

“I lift up my eyes to the hills-- where does my help come from?  My help comes from the LORD, the Maker of heaven and earth.”  
~Psalm 121:1&2

Perhaps, you have a child that is struggling with something right now.  Be encouraged!  The Lord will help you!  Likewise, He will also help your child.  As a Mom, He'll provide the wisdom and strength you need to be the parent your child needs.  And He is also more than able to help your child, whatever the need, whatever the situation.  When we trust our children and their situations to the Lord, He will be their help and He will carry them through.  
  
On this glorious, Spring Sunday morning, I pray we will be encouraged in knowing and trusting that the Lord is able to do exceeding abundantly above all we could ask or think, not only in our lives, but in the lives of our children.  

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing! I just prayed for a scripture to focus on as I start homeschooling my 15 year old. This morning I arose to began my Bible reading. The Holy Spirit had me go to the blog instead. This was just what I prayed for! I can move forward in confidence, now! Blessings to you, your family and Chase!

    ReplyDelete