Sunday, April 28, 2013

Praiseworthy Mommy!

 Do not let any unwholesome talk
 come out of your mouths,
 but only what is helpful for
 building others up 
according to their needs, 
that it may benefit
 those who listen. 
- Ephesians 4:29


It's so easy to criticize. We look at another mom and question why she does what she does. We judge and share how we would do it differently and tell of a better approach. I have also found that many times we hold back the praise for those moms we see doing something PRAISEWORTHY. As our eyes notice a mom shining bright in her parenting skills we may smile but rarely do we encourage them with our lips. 


A few weeks ago my sister came to visit, from NC, with my little seven month old nephew. We had a sweet time of catching up and my boys LOVE spending time with their cousin.  As her week visit progressed, it seemed as if my boys were misbehaving and out of control. I was disappointed that I was having such a hard time with my kids. I worried my sister thought I was not parenting well. After all, we as moms, are our worst critic, right?

After the visit with us, my sister left and traveled to stay at another mom's home, who had little ones like me as well. She called me within a day of staying there and praised me for the mom I am and how well behaved my kids were. I was shocked and blessed all at the same time. My sister chose to bless my heart with words of praise, about my parenting and the behavior of my boys, which allowed me to be so encouraged.  



Why don't we do that more often? When we see a mom doing good in her parenting skills lets remember to praise her for the fruit of her labor. Moms need that. Being a mom is exhausting and many times we just need a breath of fresh air, from the lips of another. It is those words of edification that spur us on to greater work. 

Take time right now. Stop reading. Pray and ask the Lord to reveal a mom who needs encouragement. Call, text, or email that mom you think is impacting the next generation for Christ in a positive way. Allow your words to be that cold glass of water. Refresh. Revive. Watch Him use your words to uplift another! 

"...those who refresh others will themselves be refreshed." 
- Proverbs 11:25

2 comments:

  1. You Kate are an inspiration to all those who look upon your life. An amazing mom, wife, and friend. God has blessed you with many talents and being a godly, nurturing, intentional mom is just one of them. Love you my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This happened to me on Saturday night after service on the playground. There is a mother I see on the playground each Wedsnesday and Saturday night. She is always interacting with and encouraging her 2 children. I commented this Saturday: "I love how you interact with your children." To which she smiled real big, gave me a hug and said "Really?, I always think people are thinking 'look at that crazy Mom that is always yelling!'" I told her I have never heard her yell while on the playground. Then she asked 'Can I give you another hug?' and she walked away with a big smile. Missi

    ReplyDelete