Monday, April 8, 2013

Corrected by My Five Year Old


My precious two year old has been quite whiny lately. I know he is going through a developmental growth spurt. I know he is trying to drop his nap…although he is not quite emotionally ready for that (i.e. he can’t make it past 5:00 p.m. without a break down). I know he is testing his boundaries; he wants to know if my “no” really means “no”…and what happens if he chooses not to listen.

BUT Oh, how I do love my little Doodlebug! I love how he challenges me to be a better mommy. I love how God uses his “moments” to reveal the junk in my heart, and allow God to replace it with HIS peace and HIS patience. I don’t necessarily love the process, but I do love the results.

That got me thinking…the process of teaching our children is not always easy. Sometimes we want to throw a tantrum because we are downright tired…tired physically, mentally, and emotionally. Sometimes this momma needs a nap. I mean seriously…Please, somebody make me take a nap at 2 in the afternoon! LOL :)

Well, in the midst of one my younger Doodlebug’s moments, he accidentally bit his tongue while eating his breakfast. He just started crying and whaling! My oldest Doodlebug informed my husband of the situation.

**Side note: It was a Saturday, and my hubby was living the Dad-life and fixing breakfast that morning…cereal and yogurt. :) He was really doing a great job, but I could tell our little guy’s whining was working his LAST nerve.

Back to the story: My hubby responded, “I know what happened! What do you want me to do about it?” Without hesitation, My oldest Doodlebug responded, “Pray!”

Wow! Nothing quite like being corrected by a five year old! Yet at the same time, it was refreshing for the both of us. Pray is what we usually do when life gets crazy, and it is typically the first thing we do when one of our kids gets hurt. However, in the midst of the crazy, we needed a little reminder that day. More than that…God was showing us a snippet of the results of the process he is doing in our kids. We were so blessed that our oldest Doodlebug was able to encourage us that morning. What a wonderful little surprise!

Mom, do you need a snippet?...a little sneak peak at the fruit God is producing in your children. I want to challenge you today to look for that fruit in your children and be encouraged. Sometimes it is so easy to focus on the one thing (or ten things) they did wrong that day and forget about the really sweet, really beautiful thing that they did do.

Challenge: When you catch your child in the act…of doing something noteworthy or worthy of praise, or encouraging, or thoughtful, write it down. Let him or her know that you noticed…and that you were blessed by their behavior. That little bit of encouragement may be just what they need to continue to make wise choices that day…or it may be a healthy reminder that they are works in process…and the end results are beautiful if we continue to point them to HIM.

Be blessed and encouraged today, my friend!

“Let us not become weary in doing, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.” Galatians 6:9

Prayer:

Heavenly Father, you are so patient and loving and kind toward us…all the time. Thank you that we are works in process. Thank you that we are no longer who we used to be. Thank you for exposing the junk in our own lives, and leading us to YOU. Help us when we are exasperated with our kids. Help us to see the fruit of your Holy Spirit in their lives. Help us to be patient and loving like you are. In Jesus’ name we pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment