Monday, May 5, 2014

Back to the Drawing Board

Sometimes motherhood leaves me scratching my head. Seriously! It is the one area in my life that requires constant revision and daily commitment at the same time. I love that God’s word declares that he is the same yesterday, today, and forever. He is my sure foundation in these ever-changing times. (Hebrews 13:8, Isaiah 33:6)

On the other hand, my kids (like me) are not constant. Those little doodlebugs are always changing…physically and emotionally. They go through stages, and sometimes those stages make me scratch my head and wonder what in the world is going on. Thankfully, I know who to go to when those little cuties throw me a not-so-cute curveball….

I run to my heavenly Father. I pray, lay out the problem before him, seek truth in his word, and possibly event vent…for I know He is a safe place. What next? Well, I call my hubby and update him on the day’s event and ask for his input and pray. So refreshing! He sometimes has a great practical application that I have not even thought of. So, if I had to disclose my “drawing board” it would look something like this:

  1. Pray, ask for wisdom, and seek truth in His word.
  2. Enlist help---from my hubby and other trusted family and/or friends.
  3. Forgive! This is an important step…we need to let go emotionally and forgive our kids constantly. Otherwise, dare I say it…we may become bitter or resentful towards them.
  4. Establish a plan, and stick to it! Let’s just say that an excess of grace leads to a spoiled child. They need to know that you love them and that there are consistent rules. Grace is important, but does not erase consequences…all the time.
  5. Pray some more!

I have to be honest. This blog post is the result of a tough time I have been having with one of my Doodlebugs. His mouth has gotten out of control! He was not using course language, but he was back-talking, being disrespectful, etc. I needed to go back to the drawing board with this guy. My husband and I had to tackle this thing together. I even had to let grandma know so that she would not let this kind of thing “slide” at her house. I would encourage you to go to your heavenly Father with ALL of your concerns, and then seek the advice of those godly men and women he has placed in your life.

Have a blessed day, my friend.

In His love,
Teresa

Prayer:
Thank you Father that your grace is sufficient for my every need. You are more than enough for us. I pray that you will uphold us by your strength. Give us strength, grace, and peace for this day. May we constantly look to you for wisdom. Thank you for those people you have placed in our lives that help lead us to you and remind us of your faithfulness. In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen.

“Cast your cares on the Lord and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous fall.” Psalm 55:22

“The rod of correction imparts wisdom, but a child left to himself disgraces his mother.” Proverbs 29:15

“The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.” Proverbs 9:10


“For by wise guidance you can wage war, and in abundance of counselors there is victory.” Proverbs 24:6

No comments:

Post a Comment