Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Anxious to Help

I went to my first Unmasking Anxiety class the other night at our church.  Our speaker covered a lot in two hours so when I went home I had a lot to talk about!  But one of the main things I learned was that we have the power to change what we are thinking.  God made our brains able to direct the rest of our bodies to do some amazing things like have the strength to give birth (or go through c-sections).  He also allows us to think thoughts that will send messages (via chemicals*) to our bodies that allow us to feel anxious, scared, or sad (for the proper times).

For homework we were asked to research verses with the word “thought” and I found Proverbs 12:5, “The thoughts of the righteous are right”.  That goes along with Philippians 4:8 which has helped me a lot when I think of something that prompts anxiety in me.

“Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things.”  Philippians 4:8

Then I read another interesting verse in Proverbs, “But counselors of peace have joy” Proverbs 12:20b.

The day after my class I had the opportunity to share with our son how he can choose a different way of thinking.  We were at a park with a carousel and he didn’t want to go on unless I was sitting with him in the seat because he was NOT getting on a horse, of course.  J I was armed now with Scripture and with a tiny bit of sensible knowledge.  Just set your pattern of thinking to be healthy rather than something poisonous like, “something is going to happen to me!” or “oh I will be afraid”. 


Let’s stir each other up to think TRUE and right thoughts.  We will help our kids to set those habits that will help them throughout their lives to thrive in Christ rather than wallow in worthless thinking.

*I am not a medical professional.

No comments:

Post a Comment