Thursday, September 19, 2013

Dependence


Where in your life is God trying to teach you to depend on Him? Where is He saying, “Hey, come unto me and let me give you rest?”

We walk through our lives as “independent women.” God so passionately loves us! He is whispering to us, “Come unto me” and we can’t hear Him because we are so busy working things out in our own strength and in our own time. We are in control.

As a parent I think of how it breaks my heart to watch my children try so hard to do things, knowing I could so easily help them. But in their stubborn prideful little hearts they stomp their foot and say, “ No, I can do it!” We can watch our children struggle to read, do a math problem or make a friend. All these things break our hearts and we fight the urge to do it for them, knowing they need to learn. But, isn’t there ways we can make it easier for them? We can teach them, we can guide them, encourage and love them… if… they let us. It is when they want to do it all on their own that it is the most heart breaking to watch.

I can’t imagine how God must feel when He has said to us “come unto me” and we have stomped our foot and with a heart full of stubbornness and pride said “No! I can do it myself.” Or maybe we have just said “let me give this a try on my own first.”


“Come unto me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” Matthew 11:28-30
Jesus is our rest, our peace, our comfort and strength. He doesn’t want us to be independent. He wants us to be dependent on Him.

Isaiah 40: 28-31

28Do you not know?
Have you not heard?
The Lord is the everlasting God,
the Creator of the ends of the earth.
He will not grow tired or weary,
and his understanding no one can fathom.
29He gives strength to the weary
and increases the power of the weak.
30Even youths grow tired and weary,
and young men stumble and fall;
31but those who hope in the Lord
will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint.


Psalm 62:5-8

5Find rest, O my soul, in God alone;
my hope comes from him.
6He alone is my rock and my salvation;
he is my fortress, I will not be shaken.
7My salvation and my honor depend on Goda;
he is my mighty rock, my refuge.
8Trust in him at all times, O people;
pour out your hearts to him,
for God is our refuge

No comments:

Post a Comment