Friday, March 23, 2012

Your Best Friend!


The prevailing theme the Lord has placed in my life since the first weekend in March has to do with our marriage.  I truly believe the best gift we can give our children apart from a strong spiritual foundation is that we love our spouse.

Some of the thoughts or questions I have been dealing with include:

1.    What am I “making light of” that is important to Greg?  For instance: he wants me to go with him when he is playing basketball and watch from the stands.  My knee-jerk response is to roll my eyes and shake my head. Responding with, “who does that?”  And, “why would he care?” Those questions don’t deserve my attention or an answer.  The answer is: this is important to Greg, so I need to make it important to me.
2.    He needs a companion.  For the very reason Adam needed Eve.  Genesis 2: 18 says "Then the Lord God said, It is not good for the man to be alone; I will make him a helper suitable for him." Greg needs me.  The reality is we all need companionship.  What a blessing to be wanted!
3.    We seem quick to look for ways to make others lives easier, I need to look for ways to make Greg’s life easier.
4.    What does humility look like in our marriage?  Am I truly acting on serving Greg?  Do I consider what is better for him before myself?
5.    As we heard in the Real Marriage Conference, Am I being the friend Greg needs?  Would he say I was trying to be his friend? Or more specifically, Am I trying to be his best friend?
6.    Am I praying for Greg, seeing him as a brother in the Lord? Praying for him to love the Lord with all his heart, to seek the Lord, to obey the Lord and to stand firm in the face of temptation?

Girls, instead of focusing on our parenting this week, lets try focusing on our marriage!  Pray and ask the Lord how you can be a better wife and friend to your husband.  Lets really evaluate at the weeks end if parenting seems more smooth when our marriage is attended to.

Enjoy your Best Friend this week!

2 comments:

  1. You are such a good wife, Joannie, and such an encouragement to me in my marriage. Thanks for allowing your heart to soften for your husband and being the example you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Very well said, Joannie. I really took this blog to heart! I pray I will be more intentional about being my husband's best friend! Thanks girl! :)

    ReplyDelete