Sunday, March 4, 2012

Just a Friendly Reminder


Just a Friendly Reminder

Philippians 3:16
        But we must hold on to the progress we have already made

     A group I have been attending has recently challenged us to go through the book of Philippians. We have been reading a chapter five to seven times a week. This book of the Bible amazes me with the strength of faith and encouragement to Christians. It also exemplifies the bond of fellowship with our fellow brothers and sisters in Christ. With all the wonderful nuggets revealed in this book, this simple verse has caught my eye and captured my heart so much lately that I thought I would share. 
     Our ever changing world and busy lives seem to keep us looking to what is coming next. The next gadget, the next phase of life, next job, next meal, and so on. I feel as though this yearning for the next thing in every area of life can also infiltrate our spiritual life. I am so grateful to God for changing me in so many ways. I often think about the next thing God is trying to do. Honestly there was so much change so fast in the beginning of my Christian walk that I wonder if I examined it all carefully enough  to  be sure no to go back. I wonder if I dissected the sin enough and really got to the core of the cause so I won't slip up and fall again.
     In Paul's letter to God's holy people in Philippi including the elders and deacons he reminds them to hold on to the progress they have already made. This was used for the new believer as well as the seasoned believers in Christ. As I meditate on this verse it is a good reminder not to take advantage of the change that has already taken place. It reminds me to examine my heart and be sure that the things I have surrendered to Christ don't begin to creep in again. Being aware of the progress we have made and not forgetting the changes that had to me made with the power of Christ can help us to continue to walk in stride with Him!




Heavenly Father, 
Thank you so much for refining us over and over. Your plan continues to reflect Your amazing perfection. We want to change Father, we want to live a life that is pleasing to You. Please help us to continue to change but also to reexamine the change we have already made. Help us to stay humble and not overconfident in what has already been accomplished but give us the strength to continue this race to the end. We love and praise Your Holy Name! Amen

Philippians 3:14 
       I press on to reach the end of the race and receive the Heavenly prize for which God, through Christ Jesus, is calling

2 comments:

  1. Well said sister! So true...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Sheila! I need to be more thankful for what God has already done in me, my husband, and my kids instead of always looking to the next thing. Thank you for th encouragement!

    ReplyDelete