Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Priorities

I feel like I'm in a Downy commercial today. My windows are open, the curtains are blowing in the breeze and the sun is shining in the blue sky. It is a perfect Florida day and I'm taking it in as my boys are sleeping upstairs. It is one of those days where I feel God's presence in the cool of the air and His whisper in the wind. I don't want to miss this.

I know my shower door needs to be scrubbed, the floors need sweeping and there are dishes in the sink...it seems the list goes on and on. But I also know that (with two little boys, especially) the messes and dishes and cleaning will never end. The moment I think I've accomplished something (organizing our junk drawer today), I realize that while I've been organizing they've been taking all of the paper clips out of a baggie and have begun to "build" a paper clip ball that will eventually get thrown away b/c who has the time to try and undo something like that? No matter how hard I try, there's always something more to do.

I'm reminded of Martha as she cleaned and tried to make preparations while Jesus was visiting her home. Jesus said, "Martha, Martha, you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her."

A clean room will be taken away from us moms. In a flash. An empty sink will be filled, the laundry basket will eventually overflow. But the true and lasting time spent with our Lord will never disappoint. He will refresh us in our times of stillness.

"...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint." (Isaiah 40:31)


Dear Heavenly Father,
Give us eyes to see what is most important today. Help us to be wise in how we spend our time--with You, our children and our daily tasks. It is when we first seek you that our daily load seems lighter. Give us the strength we need today.
In Your Name,
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment