Saturday, August 9, 2014

In the Fire


Daniel and his friends would not bow down and worship a new God, and King Nebuchadnzzar was mad......
Daniel 3:19-25
Then Nebuchadnezzar was full of fury, and the expression on his face changed toward Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-Nego. He spoke and commanded that they heat the furnace seven times more than it was usually heated. 20 And he commanded certain mighty men of valor who were in his army to bind Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-Nego, and cast them into the burning fiery furnace. 21 Then these men were bound in their coats, their trousers, their turbans, and their other garments, and were cast into the midst of the burning fiery furnace. 22 Therefore, because the king’s command was urgent, and the furnace exceedingly hot, the flame of the fire killed those men who took up Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-Nego. 23 And these three men, Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-Nego, fell down bound into the midst of the burning fiery furnace.
24 Then King Nebuchadnezzar was astonished; and he rose in haste and spoke, saying to his counselors, “Did we not cast three men bound into the midst of the fire?”
They answered and said to the king, “True, O king.”
25 “Look!” he answered, “I see four men loose, walking in the midst of the fire; and they are not hurt, and the form of the fourth is like the Son of God.”

A few days ago me and the kids were doing a lunch devotion when we came across the story of ShadrachMeshach, and Abednego in the book of Daniel chapter 3. God had sovereignly placed it right there that day just for me.  It was such a refreshing story for the type of week I was having...God knew I needed to read it too!

I could so relate to the story, and the trial the characters were enduring, that I wanted to stay in that story all week long. ShadrachMeshach, and Abednego were far from home, seeking to honor God with their life, and under attack because of it. But the point that stuck out to me more than anything, was that when they were thrown in the fire they weren't alone. As hot as it was, they didn't get burned, smell like smoke, or have their hair singed. The Lord hedged them in with protection. They came out unharmed, ok, and with a great story to tell others about the mighty hand of God. About how the Lord, Jehovah Jireh, the perfect provider, met them where they were at. Provided shelter, hope, and excitement about a story they have because of their trust in a God who is faithful. 

I may feel like I am in the fire with my kiddos during this season (at times), but this story reminds me that if I don't waiver in my faith, He will protect and provide shelter for me from the heat of life. And if I am steadfast, in the end, I will have a great story to tell others about His goodness and mercy on my life. 

Is the heat turned up in your life right now? Are the kids a struggle for you? 

Don't waiver in your faith, ask Him for help, and watch Him work in your life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment