Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Tools to Lead Us on Paths of Righteousness

Each day we have the opportunity to teach our children special things to shape their hearts and minds for this life and the eternal after.  I’ve learned  and applied a lot of tools from the Anxiety class I’ve been attending at church – and I’ve been using them with our kids too. 

"He restores my soul; He leads me in the paths of righteousness For His name’s sake." Psalm 23:2-4

One of the tools is to BREATHE when I feel anxious and my mind races on a path of unrighteousness.  Even before the class I was putting this tool into practice and helping our children do it when they got upset and couldn’t “get a grip.”  However, now I’m learning that it’s a way to glorify God!  When we use our body the way God created us to use it, we glorify our Creator and we can be more useful in His hand if we are not all worried and panicked.  Something our teacher noted was that in Scripture anytime God breathes, He is doing something (and with God it is usually something pre-t-t-y amazing!) 

Along with that, another tool is to use their mouth to tell their brains what to do.  This is the tool to help stop the brain from going down those paths of unrighteousness by actually saying out loud, “STOP.”  Usually when we get panicked about something it’s because we’ve fabricated a scenario in our minds that is not true. 

"Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things." Phil 4:8


The other day we were at the beach and one of my kids was freaking out that the waves were going to come up and get us.  Mind you, we were the farthest up the beach to the reeds, under palm trees and right next to the lifeguard station.  I put these tools into practice but they didn’t work right away. .. so I panicked – no, just kidding!  J  After a little while we were all fine and had a great two-hour picnic and play at the beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment