Saturday, December 31, 2011

PLEASE Behave While We Have Company!

Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. - Galations 6:9

What does this verse say to you? Personally right now in your life? In the last week it has spoken volumes to my heart as I watched my boys interact with our family in town for the Christmas holiday.

If I was completely honest there was definitely some fear and anxiety in my heart as the time approached that my sister and her husband were coming into town. Yeah see they don't have kids (yet!) and the last time we were all together it was a little chaotic up in Gatlinburg this past summer. My boys seemed to be misbehaving and needing disciplining continually while we all stayed in ONE cabin. I can remember crying because I was so embarrassed and stressed over it all. Now I look back and see that it was all a process to get to the season we are in now. Aaaaggghh....it was such a different visit this time around. It was a 180.

      Those who sow in tears will reap with songs of joy. - Psalm 126:5
 Yep this visit was such a joy and blessing for us all. My boys listened and obeyed. Oh an occasional discipline was necessary every once in a while, but nothing like the summer trip. They used manners and showed such love and care for others. I was so thankful...and I think Jesus was too!  I sat back thinking what was different from last summer till now.....it was a different season. Yes the physical weather season, summer and winter were different but so were the lives of my little ones. Sometimes it can feel like eternity when we are in the beginning years of training our kids. It is exhausting. We don't see fruit. We wonder, will there ever be fruit? There will. Be patient. He is working on them and you too. As we parent, HIS process is one of refining you and your little ones to look more like Jesus. It is just a season. And just like weather seasons change over time, so will this season of continually disciplining your little ones. Don't give up. You will reap a reward and it is sweet!
What "Season" of parenting are you in right now?
Summer- 
heat is definitely turned up and you are exhausted from the drought of obedience in your child(ren)

Fall-
windy, you feel as if you have been blown all over with how other people think you should parent but you haven't really asked Jesus what He thinks (James 1:5)

Winter- 
cool, you are able to sit back and look at all you have reaped and are blessed by the fruit you have seen in your children

Spring- 
rainy @ times but you are seeing buds of new life in your children as they begin to obey


Here are a few verses to print out, put up, jot down on a note card, or give to a friend who is discouraged in her season of being a mommy.

Therefore, my dear brothers, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain.
-1 Corinthians 15:58


And as for you, brothers, never tire of doing what is right.
-2 Thessalonians 3:13

 ...but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.
-Isaiah 40:31

A few weeks prior to my sister's visit I was encouraged by a friend who came to stay @ our home with her little ones. She shared how much growth she had seen in my older son and how his behavior had gotten so much better. My kids still struggle, they are not perfect, but I am so thankful that Teresa felt led to share that with me. I was so encouraged and it was as if the Lord was giving me a high five for all those times my head wanted to give up but my heart wouldn't let it! Do you have a friend with a child who is struggling? Keep your eyes open for those opportunities to bless them with some encouraging words (Eph. 4:29) when you see even the slightest bit of improvement in their child's behavior. It will mean SO much and keep that mom afloat on those days she wants to throw in the towel.

Remember these tough times are only a season...NOT forever...stick with it...you will reap the rewards!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for those Bible verses, Kate... I needed the reminder!

    ReplyDelete