Friday, December 16, 2011

Managing Your Christmas Bucket List


find image: pinterest.com/pin/153263193538549139


I can be honest...when I went to New York in September, I carried a sign that said, "Bucket List...Complete."  I carried it wherever we were and would unexpectedly pull it out while we were taking the stereotypical tourist shots.  I was questioned by those passing by.  Most asked (with its inflection,) "Really? I mean really??"  My response was, "Yes, for this day, for this moment, this is my bucket list. And in this moment, it is complete."


At Christmas, you too may have a said or unsaid "list."  A list of accomplishments for the month of December.  It may resemble the one above, but probably will include your own expectations and desires.


This will be my 22nd Christmas as a Mom, so as the “elder” of the blog writers for Parakaleo Moms, I thought I would share some “Helpful Hints for the Holidays." Hints that may help you as you sort your expectations of the holidays.

Many Christmas simplification suggestions are obvious and have already been beautifully addressed in the previous days. Today, I would like to share from personal experience those hints that are practical with young children.

We all get a barrage of invitations during the month of December.  I would encourage you to limit the number of invitations you accept.  I mean REALLY limit them.  As a couple or as a single mom, with the Lords direction, consider only two or three total parties or activities (even when the children are invited.)
Image found here: pin/229894755947979432/

Secondly, the priority invitation I would ask you young mothers to consider, is to attend or host a Birthday Party for Jesus.  Complete with a birthday cake and the reading of the Christmas story (its super sweet when you have your children memorize Luke 2: 1 – 7 for the young ones, and all the way through verse 20 for the older children.)  Have other families memorize the verses (in the same version) with your children and then have multiple children from different families quote the passage together.

Another wonderful hint someone shared with Greg and I was to limit the amount of gifts we give to our children.  We have stayed pretty true to three gifts (small, medium and large) with a budget of $40.00 for each child.  It doesn’t sound possible, but it becomes a game...and our children know what to expect.  When they ask for something, they know the limitations to the budget and the total amount of gifts they will see under the tree.

I would also encourage you to stick as close to your normal schedules and eating patterns.  When you throw out the bedtime because you think its “vacation” the children tend to be tired and  need more discipline.  Frankly, it gets exhausting for me too!! If you allow your little ones to have multiple “meals” of snacks or sugary foods, you can expect a different child.

Finally, my favorite hint is, watch for special memories throughout the season.  Because I enjoy journalling, so much of my days are in some way recorded.  However, at the end of the Christmas festivities,  I make a list of “My Favorite Memories” and pack them with the Christmas decorations.  It is a precious way to begin the next year of decorating.  I open the boxes and reflect on the sweet memories I never thought I would forget, but already had.


image found here: 260223684688546481_Tt4lCb09_c.jpg

May Christmas be a joyous time of celebrating our Savior's birth with your family and children! By narrowing your Bucket List, you will find that you too can say of the Christmas Season, "Bucket List Complete!"


 Next week I will share THE best gift for your children (and don’t worry…it fits the budget!!)


1 comment:

  1. Great job Joannie! What a wonderful post! I totally enjoyed your helpful hints and am excited to read your post next week too! Thank you for being real and reminding us to set limits during the Christmas season!

    ReplyDelete