Thursday, December 22, 2011

The Best Christmas Gift for Children!




Image found here: static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/TheLittleDrummerBoy.jpg

The little drummer boy has always convicted me.  The precious cartoon with the sad little face looking for the perfect Christmas gift for the baby Jesus had me identify with him from the first moment I saw him!

I am just not a shopper.  I lack creativity, time, money, and in so many ways, I am just too practical to shop for a gift.  So when Christmas nears,  I am stuck looking for the perfect gift.  But I know it should be ingenious, inspiring, thought provoking and filled with love.  Inevitably I fall on my face.

However, I want you to know, I have found a perfect gift for ALL PARENTS!!  It is great for the new parents and grandparents. I didn’t invent it, I have been taught this perfect gift.  The first time I heard of this gift came from the teaching of Growing Kids God’s Way by Gary and Anne Marie Ezzo.   They suggested the best gift we can give our children is, “Love your spouse!”

Yep, that’s it!  Simple?  Well, not so much huh?

As the Lord reminded me of this principle about a month ago, I started making a mental note of what I was publically seeing in wives.  Whether in conversations with other wives or in front of their husbands, I watched and listened as to how they were treating their spouses.

Girls, many times I was looking in the mirror seeing my own face and listening to my own voice.  If my children were listening or watching, was I using tones and body language to convey my love and respect for Greg?

We often use the words, “I love you!”  but what do our actions show?  Do we use a kind voice and a sweet tone with our husbands? Is there evidence for the outside world to say, “they really love each other!”

Recently, while reading Lisa Beamers book, Let’s Roll, she lovingly talks of her husband Todd’s family and how strong his parents relationship was.  She also reflected on her dad’s love to her mother.  Lisa said of her father, “One of the best things he did for us was to love Mom.  He showed her respect, asked her opinions and encouraged her pursuits…”

So when is the last time you have talked with your husband about his aspirations and then encouraged him to dream and take the next step.  When is the last time you offered to serve him (without mentioning your personal “to do list”?) Are you praying daily for your husband? Are you building him up in front of your children and his peers?

Ladies, lets make this the sweetest Christmas on record.  Let’s love our husbands.  Lets give him the respect God has asked us to give.  Let’s help our children feel secure and safe with us as their parents.

The obvious gift, should not be overlooked.  Be sure to enjoy the Baby Jesus.  To love Him like you can see Him. Look to Him for the answers of our everyday motherhood.  Ask Him to help us to love our husbands and bring out the best in them. 


Image found here: static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/TheLittleDrummerBoy.jpg

Love Jesus.

Love your husbands.

The Drummer Boy gave all he had, his drum and his song.  We may not have the creativity, time, money, or the interest to produce an amazing gift under the tree.  However, we can give our children, our husband and our Sweet Savior the best gift of all.   Let our gift be love for our husbands and Jesus!

Merry Christmas Girls!!


Mark 12: 30 -31
"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.  The second is this: Love your neighbor as yourself."

3 comments:

  1. Great blog Joannie! So true! Thank you for reminding us of what is really important. It is so easy sometimes to focus on what our husbands are NOT doing instead of praising them for what they are! It is so imperative that we pray for our husbands because in those times of prayer the Lord will reveal the junk within our own hearts that we need to clean out so we (as a couple) can rightly represent who HE is! Thank you for reminding us of Truth today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! Thank you so much for your Godly encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen, Joannie! Thank you for the precious reminder! I can always do better in this area...and you are so right! Our children feel much more secure when mom and dad have a happy, healthy relationship. Love your insight, Teresa

    ReplyDelete