Wednesday, December 14, 2011

'Tis the Season

"There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven." -Ecclesiastes 3:1

Griffin, my 3 year old, still wants to be with me all the time. He sits with me in church, he stays with me when I teach Cooper's class, he follows me around the house, wants me to stay close by and yells "Mom!" if 3 minutes have passed and we're not in the same room. He DOES NOT want me to leave him.

Cooper, on the other hand, has become quite an indepedent five year old. He goes everywhere daddy goes given the chance, will gladly stay in Sunday school by himself, loves his storytime at the library and loves to play with our neighbor friends whenever he can.

It's funny how this process happens gradually if we just let it. I was so worried when Cooper was three that he never wanted to go to Sunday school by himself when my friend's little boy would walk right in and sit down. But I never forced it...only secretly hoped I wasn't spoiling him by taking him into service with me. I always worried that I was allowing him to control the situation with his tears and crying, but something in my gut just said it was ok to allow him more time. Of course, I compared myself to what other mothers were doing, but in the end I did what I thought was best for my sensitive little guy.

God made them each different, didn't he? Oh, how very different...

So, this past Sunday I tried leaving Griffin in Sunday school and thought I had been successful having reached the doors to the sanctuary. But as I began to pull on one of the doors I heard an ear piercing scream from the end of the hallway. And as I realized how quickly it was running toward the sanctuary, I closed the door as fast as I could. I turned around to see Griffin running at me with a horrified look on his face and screaming, "Mommy, mommy!" OK, I guess I was wrong about him being ready.

Thankfully, we have some very compassionate people at our church who have reached out to our family. One woman, in particular, caught me on my way out to offer her encouragement. She, being a mom of two boys, had some words of wisdom now that her two sons were 11 and 13. And a cute story to go along with it. She said the other day her 11 year old told her that he wanted to marry a very beautiful girl someday. And that he wanted her to have a heart for the Lord. He also wanted to marry someone who wasn't sad, but happy with a joyful heart. And someone who would have a desire to volunteer in their church. Wow! What a list for an 11 year old.

I smiled as she told me this story, because I saw for a moment a glimpse of what was to come and I knew this season would go by quickly. I was reminded to enjoy my boys (whatever the stage they were in) and to know that good or bad--things always change. They will never be quite like they are today. To hold these moments dear...even the times when your 3 year old disrupts the church service...because they are precious. To not compare yourself to what other mothers are doing, but to trust in God. That He will give you a heart for what your child needs, when he needs it. In the big picture, as this mother told me, just enjoy it! Someday your sons are going to be telling you who they'd like to marry! (Funny thing is, this little guy was describing his own mother). Guess as old as they get, they can never quite let go. ;)

God,
Give us hearts that are moldable to each of our children. Help us to know their specific needs and to try to meet them without the hindrence of Satan. Give us confidence knowing that You ultimately are in control. You created them, you gave each a special design and you love them! We praise you for each stage that our children will go through and thank you for going ahead of us even now to prepare a way for them. God, bless our kids.
In Jesus Name,
Amen.

Challenge:
-As we approach the season of Christmas parties and seeing family and friends that we may not see all the time, try not to compare your family to those of your loved ones.
-Keep a godly perspecitive on your kids.
-And don't skip too many naps. ;)
-Enjoy the season!

1 comment:

  1. Tracey, this post was awesome... so much of what you said described right where I am at right now. Thank you for your encouragement! God is so good!

    ReplyDelete