Wednesday, December 7, 2011

God's Gift

"I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord." -Luke 2:10b-11

I was in Walmart the other day with the boys and Cooper saw something he wanted. Now, his birthday was in November, so we had just given him exactly what he wanted a few weeks ago...or so I thought. He had been asking for a hunting game that came with two rifles and growing up in a family of hunters, I thought it would be a great game to get him interested. He could shoot deer, pheasants and rabbit all in the comfort of our Florida home. But now here we stood in front of this display Cooper saying, "Mom, this is what I want for my next birthday!". I had to step a little closer and squint my eyes, because I was certain looking at the box that this was the toy we had just purchased. As I got a little closer, though, I realized with a certain heaviness that this WAS the same game...hunting, two guns, animals...only we weren't hunting in Kansas anymore...we were in Africa on safari.

Last year, Cooper received a Leapster2 for his birthday from my sister-in-law which says it is for the ages 3-7. It had been a great learning toy for about a year when I walked into the bathroom one day to find him standing on his stool in front of the sink wiping the screen off with a towel. It would be a couple weeks before it would stop working and Cooper would innocently tell me how he held it under running water before wiping it down clean. Oh boy. Apparently, it was good to age 7 if it made it that far. Now, he wants a Mobigo.

When we moved into our new house a year ago, I told Rob I would be happy if we could just replace the carpet and paint the walls. Initially, after having both of these things done I was thrilled. I still am. But with time, "things" start to blend in and my eyes start to wander to other areas of the house that could use a lift.

Where does it end? Does it? The desire for more and more and more?

Last night, Rob (my sweetheart husband of 9 years today!) stayed home with the boys while I went searching for that one thing that would make Cooper happy on Christmas morning. I found it and as I carried it through the toy aisle wondering what else my kids would be missing out on in their childhood if I didn't get it for them, it hit me.

I can't keep up.

Have you ever stood in a toy aisle and looked all the way to the top? Do it sometime. It will really overwhelm you. Because as soon as you think you've covered it all--yup, my kids have blocks. Check. Trucks. Check. Trucks with flashing lights. Check. Tractors. Puzzles. Games. Musical instruments. Check. Race tracks. Train tracks. Play Dough. Balls. Legos. (You name it, it seems they have it or have had it at one point)--you look up. And that's when you realize you've only scratched the surface. Because on the top shelf is where they keep all the big toys. And like myself you may start to think, "Oh, he doesn't have one of those."

I stood there last night thinking about all of this, hearing two sets of different parents trying to quiet their little kid's cries of wanting more when I got this overwhelming feeling of emotion and the tears came. Oh, dear. This isn't it. This "stuff" is only stuff and our heart's desire will never be filled by all Fisher Price and Hasbro have to offer. Thank goodness. And praise God that as I stood there I was able to see the manger in my mind and to be washed with the simple truth that in a few weeks we would celebrate the true meaning of this season--the birth of Jesus Christ.

There is only one gift during this season that won't run out of batteries. It won't need to be upgraded by next Christmas. You won't have to buy cartridges for it or worry about it running out of power. And that is the gift of our Savior. Praise the Lord! Can you imagine a Christmas without that kind of hope? That kind of gift?

I am so thankful for God's gift to us. I love that it's free and that it's freely given to all who will take it. As you continue your Christmas shopping in the coming weeks, be reminded of the true gift of the season and the hope that it gives to the entire world. May the peace of God go with you.


Dear Heavenly Father,


I praise you for this season of giving. Lord, help us to take a break from all the holiday bustle and remember the one gift that will always give hope and life and light. The birth of Jesus Christ.


I pray this in your name,


Amen.



2 comments:

  1. I love how you said that Jesus is a gift that will never need new batteries or an upgrade. It is truth that that we can share with another mom who is discouraged this Christmas. Thanks for your wisdom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Tracey! We need to be reminded of these things as we approach this season of CHRISTmas! Thank you for being faithful and guiding our hearts to remember this!

    ReplyDelete