Sunday, December 18, 2011

The Church at it's best

“To the weak, I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some.” 1Cor.9:22-23

More and more I’m learning how wonderful the body of Christ is. How the church cares for the weak and provides for the needy. This week I am blogging from the sunny South Florida where we are spending a week with family and friends. There is so much to blog about so I have narrowed it down to the most important observation I made, hoping it will bless you. 

Delray Beach was our home for so many years. Our boys were born here and dear friendships were formed. Tuesday evening, the girls bible study group, I’ve cherished and been part of before we moved, had a cookie exchange I was able to attend. How sweet it was to see the women of God that mean so much to me. This is the group that took me into their strong circle of love and support. They took time to get to know me, had patience with me in times of weakness and carried me thru the loss of my mother.  
Our night was sweet. Many of the girls circumstances had changed. Some had moved, had another child, gone thru some hardships with family and had to persevere thru health issues. But as I looked around and tuned into the conversations going on around the room, I could just cry. Life was for them, still all about Jesus.
I saw Fran as a beautiful and loving mother giving attention to her children at bedtime while hosting this party. She was present with them as much as she was with her guests and glowing when her husband spoke and joined us for a moment. I saw Kate in deep conversation with Tracy, discussing purity and sharing insights. A woman who is always ministering to others, witnessing and inviting others to share in the joys of believing God.  There was Franci, a mother of three little girls under the age of six, who recently took in a newborn baby boy to care for thru the foster care program. She still made time to come and even bake some award winning cookies for our night, God’s gift of nurture flowing thru her powerfully. Other women I didn’t know so well were there too, because this core group does what the church should do. They invite others to this place of safety, support, truth and love. Despite their hardships, God is strong in them and the display was magnificent to behold.

Realizing I have now lived in Rising Fawn, Georgia for seven months, it became clear to me right then what God was calling me to do when I get home. He is asking me to be this group in my circle of people. He is calling me to give the overflow of my experience in this group away to someone who needs it. They are all around us.  Some you see for a season only and then they are gone but God who orchestrates things so beautifully knows who we need and who needs us. If He dwells in you, he wants to use you.  Even during this short trip, I met a lady in my old gym that is terribly lonely and feels forgotten.  A close relative is really struggling with depression during this Christmas season and another friend just needs to hear that what she is doing is noticed and matters. It’s sometimes very tiny details but they mean so much to those in need.

Make this Christmas season, all about relationships. Let’s ask ourselves how we can give God to people around us. How can we be the source of eternal salvation to someone by displaying Christ? And should you be the one struggling, ask God for a group like that for yourself. I wouldn’t be able to give it unless it was given to me thru this group for a season. We need each other so much. Look around, perhaps they are already around you but you have to make an effort, receive them and sometimes humble yourself.
“You have to admit your need for love to be able to receive it” (Jack Frost, “From slavery to sonship”)
More and more I’m learning how wonderful the body of Christ is. How the church carries the weak and provides for the needy. You, my beautiful girls, are doing it right and I’m convinced the Father is well pleased.

4 comments:

  1. Grateful to be in "The" Church with you!! Love this post! Merry Christmas Maggie!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully said! God has sent a couple of us out from that group, where we were so blessed to see what His love looked like in a group of friends. He has sent us out to do what was done for us...Hundreds of miles away I have stopped looking for someone to be my Kate here and invite me to a playdate or to coffee with friends, I have stopped looking for my Teresa or Maggie to stop over and just hang out. I have stopped looking for Fran or Franci or Lena. You are all irreplacable and part of my heart forever! God has made it very clear to me, as Maggie Said, that I was sent out to love as I was loved....So instead of looking for that I need to be that and I will thank Jesus when it shows up for me as well...Love all you girls!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this post, Maggie! And feel very blessed by this amazing group of women who haveand continue to minister to so many. It was so good to finally meet you! You're as warm and caring in person as you are in your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh I love you girls!!! Coming from being unsaved, lonely, and scared only 8 years ago, to now knowing our amazing GOD and feeling loved and cherished by HIM I am always so gateful for all He has done in my life. I praise Him daily for the friendships He has blessed me with for you girls pray for me when I am sad, carry me when I am weak. and laugh with me always! All of you are truly gifts and ones that only He could deliver... Love you girls. Well said Maggie :)

    ReplyDelete