Saturday, December 24, 2011

A Divine Appointment for Me??

Live wisely among those who are not believers, and make the most of every opportunity.  Let your conversation be gracious and attractive so that you will have the right response for everyone. -Colossians 4:5-6




It seems like the Lord is always using my children to set up divine appointments for me at parks and playgrounds these days. I love it! So much can be learned as you share and take a few minutes to get to know a new friend and ask a little about their life. You glean so much...where they are headed in life, what is their biggest struggle right now, and if they want a new friend or not. We go to a different park each day. Today my mom had me run an unexpected errand, causing us to go to a park we don't typically go to. It's wild because the Lord knew exactly what He was doing as he placed me there at Plantation Woods Park at 10:45 am.

As we jumped out of the car my kids immediately ran up and hopped on a bike not their own. I hurried to catch up and explained to them that we could not use those because they didn't belong to us. As I began to do this, a grandpa named Curtis shared that they could use any of the 7 bikes/scooters he had brought to the park that day. He also handed me a flyer that explained we were living in the last days and some info about prophesy. At first I was taken aback that he handed it to me and walked away. As I walked around the playground I began to read the flyer and eventually made my way over to him. I asked how long he had been doing this "park ministry" and he shared that God had given him a second chance after alcoholism and two crazy car accidents. 


As we began to talk, he told me that he meets families everyday at the park.

After talking to them he writes down their name (and the names of their children too) in a journal (he showed me) and lets the family know he will be praying for them. I was so encouraged as I watched and listened to him. It is contagious as we watch others shine for Christ and learn that we could be doing more in our own "mission field" too!  Divine appointments. Yes Grandpa Curtis, with his little grandson Lucas, was placed at that park to remind me of where I am headed and who I am serving. As I left there I was thinking of how I could acquire some more bikes/scooters ect. to bring to parks with my boys and share the love of Christ with others through a similar ministry.  I was changed because of my encounter with Grandpa Curtis. Many are changed because of their encounter with Christ, whose birth we celebrate soon.


In our home, like most, we have been talking a lot about the story of Christ's birth.  There were many divine appointments placed in the pathway of Mary, Joseph, the Shepherds, the Innkeeper, the Magi ("3" Kings) as they encountered Jesus in the manger so many years ago. They shared their experience with those watching in awe. God hand-picked each of them to play a role in the divine appointment that impacted the world forever. Whether they followed the encouragement of angels, or followed the star in the sky I am sure that there was a time or two they questioned why them and why now. But the Lord had a divine appointment for each...as well as ALL of the people they would pass, tell, share with, and encourage to meet this new baby who'd change the lives of humanity.

Which character in the Christmas Story can you most relate with in this season of your life?
Angels- providing direction for others
Mary-  excited for the next step in ministry knowing it will change your life forever and humbled He has chosen her
Joseph- trusting God's sovereignty even in unforeseen circumstances
Magi- using your gifts to bless the Lord
Shepherds- following steadfastly after the light of Truth
Innkeeper- allowing others to come into your "stable" and find refreshment there


Think of how many people heard the good news about Jesus' birth, by word of mouth, because the characters traveled their road of faith with God.

Many lives followed to see Truth in the manger just because of their faith. Is that how we live our life too? Each day with excitement because we have an amazing story to share. Knowing Jesus is such a wonderful journey with many divine appointments along the way. That is one reason it is so exciting being a Christian. The Lord uses divine appointments in your life to impact many who are hungry for Truth. Allow yourself to be used like Grandpa Curtis to encourage others towards living a life for Christ.  What divine appointment will HE have for you today??

1 comment:

  1. Your perspective on others is so amazing. Thanks for sharing this story, Kate! -tracey

    ReplyDelete