Wednesday, December 28, 2011

One Step at a Time

With Christmas behind us and the New Year approaching, it's time for those New's Years resolutions to be made. Dropping five pounds maybe...being more consistent with friends...being a better disciplinarian with our kids...

I'm reminded of a trip I took with my kids two years ago when Cooper was only 3 years old and Griffin was barely 2. Rob and I were still in Colorado and he decided to take a couple weeks to go hunting with my brother-in-law from Michigan, so I had a choice. I could stay home with both boys mostly by myself or travel to MI with them to spend that time with my parents, 3 siblings and all the cousins. It didn't seem like a very hard decision (espcially seeing as Griffin was still flying for free). But it was. I would have to drive the hour and a half up to the Denver airport, park in the $5 parking lot, grab a shuttle with a stroller and all the luggage and then spend the rest of the day juggling both kids through the airport and plane by myself. I'll tell you what, I had to think long and hard about this. We had flown many times before with our kids, but never had I done it without Rob (who is extremely on top of things when we're traveling). I tend to be the flightly one (no pun intended), so I was a little aprehensive before finally committing to do it.

The night before, I was very nervous. Very. But I kept telling myself that if I broke the day up into chunks of time rather than looking at the big picture, it was no big deal. I knew I could drive the hour and a half up to Denver if that was all I was to do. So I did it. I pretended like once we were there, I was done. We sang the whole way. I talked to my boys. I didn't let my mind even think for a second what it was going to be like once I parked.

And then I parked.

I knew I could get my stroller out--we do it everyday, don't we moms? I got it out. I knew I could put Griffin in it. I did (even as one shuttle bus left the parking lot). Oh well, we'll catch the next one. I knew I could stuff the bottom full and get my one piece of luggage out of the car. So, I did. And so it went. I got Cooper out of the car, locked it up and told him to hold onto the suitcase until we got to the shuttle stop. He did. At the shuttle stop a bus pulled up within minutes and a very nice driver helped me to get Griffin in first and pulled my very heavy piece of luggage onto the bus. We were in!

The boys loved the ride on the bus and even though my heart was racing I was relieved to be this far and to know that we were not alone--God was there with us every little step of the way.

Once the nice driver helped us up onto the curb, we checked the bag and from there it was just a matter of going through security and getting on the plane (which all went very smoothly as well). God heard my (and other's) prayers and we were flying safely home.

There are so many times that when we look at the big picture, life can seem a bit overwhelming. How do we get from point A to point B as smoothly as possible. But through this trip two years ago I learned that with prayer and taking things one step at a time, anything is possible if the peace of God is with you. He will get us there if we trust Him.

I worry too much about the day after tomorrow. But I think if I were to focus on the moment and just accomplishing one thing at a time before moving ahead in my mind, I would be way less anxious in general.

So, as you are setting a goal this year, don't let it overwhelm you to the point of not following through. Give yourself the grace that God gives you, pray through it, sing through it, don't get ahead of yourself and leave tomorrow to God. Take it one step at a time.

God,
We praise you for new beginnings. Thank you for the grace you've given us so many times and the faithfulness you have promised. I ask that you go ahead of us now and prepare a way for us and that we would let you take care of all the details of our everyday. We love you, Lord and praise you for another New Year.

In Jesus' Name,
Amen

2 comments:

  1. Amen! Great post Tracey. It's better to set a goal that stretches us and that we can follow through on than it is to get crazy with our goals and give up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog my friend! Very refreshing thanks!! You are a gift to this blog!

    ReplyDelete