Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Seek, don’t sink!



I had been getting so upset at our sweet 2 year-old princess!  Jordan decided she did NOT want to wear diapers nor pull-ups anymore so I just went with it and put her in underpants.  (“Horray!  No more buying diapers,” I thought.)  First we bought Minnie Mouse & Daisy then I needed more because I couldn’t keep up with all the laundry so I got some Dora the Explorer underwear.  At first she was doing GREAT!  …And then… most days I’m cleaning pee off the floor at least once a day.  All those things that worked great when training Matthew are not working with Jordan.

God has allowed us moms to have a high pain tolerance, a strong love for our children and the gift of a kiss to make all boo-boos feel better.  However, sometimes the loss of patience and self-control show a direct relation to how much we are in the Word hearing the heart of God.  This is where I was, SO I opened a devotional book I had enjoyed reading months ago but stopped for some reason.  When I opened it and read the verse for that day, I wanted more.  I read the surrounding verses and learned.  I enjoyed the awesomeness, the coolness, the timeliness of my Savior.  If He is in me, I can be patient & self-controlled too!  After this reading the day began and I was a lot more prepared to deal with the regular things of the day that send me overboard and have me harried.  We had a real good morning until…  I tried to figure out why my 3 ½ and 2 year-olds couldn’t seem to stay in their seats at lunchtime.  I lost it.

This moment reminded me of when Peter walked on water – once he thought about his humanity rather than Who he had fixed his eyes on when he was called out of the boat.  Being a mom is a calling from our Lord to represent His love.  Momma, you and I need to keep our eyes fixed on Jesus so we don’t lose it and sink. 

“And Peter answered Him and said, “Lord, if it is You, command me to come to You on the water.”

So He said, “Come.” And when Peter had come down out of the boat, he walked on the water to go to Jesus.  But when he saw that the wind was boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink he cried out, saying, “Lord, save me!””  Matthew 14:28-30

1 comment: