Saturday, October 19, 2013

GO & SHOW

 Train up a child in the way he should go,And when he is old he will not depart from it.
 - Proverbs 22:6

This week a new Curious George episode stirred all kinds of ideas in the Seawell house. In the show George had a lemonade stand and sold juice to earn money.  This got my six year old thinking about how he, too, wants to be an entrepreneur. Then ideas of a garage sale surfaced too. We settled on selling some of our old toys, we no longer use, to a local store that buys gently used kids items. 

It worked great for him and me. He went through and organized his toys to sell. Then, Daddy took him to the store to "cash" in his stuff. My son was excited to earn some money which led our family to have a sit down talk about what it looks like to be a good steward of the money He entrusts us with.

My husband reminded our children about giving (tithing) 10% to the church, saving10%, and then spending the rest. It was an eye-opening talk because it started with the example of that little cash he had just made at the store. We divided the money into coins to show percentages, then got out sandwich baggies and marked them "saving" and "giving." It was a learning experience for them. One that will mark their future earnings :)

I realize more and more, as my kids grow up, just how important my input and lifestyle is. How I live for Jesus. How I invest in others. How I spend & save money. How I steward the gifts God has provided me. How I entrust His wisdom to my children. They watch and  mimic it all. 

What is HE calling you to share with your child today?

Will you GO and SHOW them all you have been taught?

Be faithful and watch them be faith-filled in their future decisions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment