Thursday, May 2, 2013

Salt of the Earth


“You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled underfoot.

“You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.”  Matthew 5:13-16
 

A few years ago God took our family in a direction that I never wanted.  I had four little ones and for the last two years we had lived surrounded by relatives: grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins all within a ten-mile radius. It was great.  But apparently my complacent little boat needed rocking.  Surrounded by family is what I had always wanted.  I loved the idea of big holiday gatherings, birthday parties, dropping in to say hi, or picking things up for each other at the store.  It just sounded so perfect to me. 

This of course was when the rocking started.  A new job for my husband…I am sorry where did you say?  Two thousand miles away!  Have you lost your mind?  Did I mention FOUR little kids?  I NEED family! 

Oh I sought God.  I sought after Him telling Him how He needed to shut those doors and let my husband know this was most certainly not the right move.  But instead he let me know that His ways are not my ways and that His plans are always for good, for my good.  He worked in my heart bringing me to a place where my prayer simply became for His will and for my obedience.  He reminded me of the times I had done things my way and the messes that were left behind.  He softened my heart. 

When God started this rocking of the boat I knew my obedience was necessary.  I wanted to be obedient but I still missed everyone so much. It was awful.  But what I didn’t expect was how God would bless my obedience.  He blessed me with more family, with sisters in Christ that I never would have even known to ask for. 

This move put me in the middle of a group of ladies who are God’s.  They are completely sold out to Him.  The salt of the earth surrounded me. It was magnificent.  Who knew that kind of blessing was even out there?

But there is something about salt being all clumped in one spot.  In one of Pastor Bob Coy’s messages he said, “You wouldn’t take your saltshaker and dump all the salt on one part of your steak.  You would shake it around, spread out the saltiness.”  And that is exactly what God started doing with that group of ladies.  One after another we have been shaken out in a place that is not so salty. 

But it just gets more beautiful.  These ladies, though spread out, have continued to be the salt in each other’s lives.  When heartbreak struck in my own family they couldn’t all come to me so they flew me to them, just to love me for a weekend.  When prayer is needed, they get the text.  They cry at my heartache and rejoice in my blessings just as I do for them.  This is salt!
 
Beautiful Mom, God has shaken His salt.  He has not clumped it all in one spot.  There may be a clump for a time, but when they are ready God spreads them out.   Maybe you need some of that salt right now, start praying for it.  Maybe you are that salt for others, God bless you.  Or maybe you are in the process of being spread out.  Know this…God will bless your obedience more than you could ever think to ask for or imagine. 

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful Courtney! I so cherish my God given friendships and although its sad when God sends you all away, I know His plan is perfect and I know others will be blessed by those of you who have moved...

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true, Courtney! Thank you for allowing God to sprinkle you in my life! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying about this and missing you, Courtney!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I miss you too, all you girls! Looking forward to seeing you all very soon:) Love you friend!

    ReplyDelete