Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Is Your Family on the Narrow Road?


"Enter through the narrow gate.  For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it.  But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it."
Matthew 7:13&14

When you read the verses above what do you think of?  I know early on in my Christian walk, I believed these verses were speaking specifically to the issue of salvation.  While this is applicable,  as a Christian I have been asking the Lord how it applies to myself, my marriage, my children, and our family. I believe there is more regarding this narrow road after salvation.

Narrow road. I recently asked my two teenagers what this means to them in light of Matthew 7 and their personal relationship with Jesus.  Below are their responses:

My 17yr. old Son Samuel: "The narrow road is that pathway of life less traveled even by Christians. I have noticed many times that I have had to make the hard decisions that are opposite of what everyone else around me are doing. It may be difficult, but the Lord always completes His perfect work in me."

My 15yr old Daughter Bailee: "As chosen people of God we should want to take the narrow path to be different because God calls us to be different. Many care more what those around them think of them instead of what God thinks.  For the moment it's appears easier but in the long run they end up hurting others as well as themselves.  Deciding to take the narrow road can be scarey but in the long run it leads you towards God instead of away from Him."

As I ponder the narrow road I think "not easy yet worthwhile".  I agree with my kids.  "Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.  Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart." Hebrews 12:2 & 3

What does the narrow road mean to you? Is your family on the narrow road?  Only you and the Lord can answer that question.  Be of good cheer as you seek Him for wisdom in raising your children.  God will give you all the strength you need to do the hard things and to travel the path less traveled: the narrow road.  This road always brings God the greatest glory.

"And He made known to us the mystery of His will according to His good pleasure, which He purposed in Christ.."
Ephesians 2:9

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment