Thursday, May 16, 2013

A Cheerful Giver


“Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.”  2 Corinthians 9:7

 

As I read this verse I was reminded of what I have decided in my heart to give.  In context this verse is speaking of financial giving but that kind of giving is not the direction the Lord was tugging my heart when I read it.  This is where the Lord took my heart:

I have decided in my heart to give myself wholly and completely to my God.  I have decided in my heart to give myself to my husband and my children.  I want to serve and love them with all my heart.  I want to take care of them, prepare meals for them, keep our home in order, making sure it feels safe and welcoming.  I have decided in my heart that I will do all those things that a wife and mother is called to do and even some of those things that are just because I do them.

There are often times that what I do goes unappreciated and unnoticed.  Most of the time this doesn’t bother me but there are times when I can get a little attitude about it.  These are the times I need this verse to remind me, these things are already things I have decided in my heart to do.  I do not need recognition or a pat on the back.  I need to do them and do them cheerfully because I have already decided in my heart to do them. 

 
Lord, my heart wants to be obedient and serve.  When I feel like I am not being treated as I deserve or wish, remind me of what I have decided in my heart to do and that I can give of myself cheerfully, because I have given myself first to you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment