Friday, August 9, 2013

A BIG Reminder

            I can hold it in the palm of my hand.  Its one of my most prized possessions.
37 years after my Grandfather’s death and umpteen moves and states away, I still have it.  I don’t have the right place to display it, so it gets moved around from dresser drawer to drawer. 

            What is it you ask?  It’s a 3 ½ inch hand carved yoke.  I don’t know why my Grandfather made it but he carved it out of wood and added some metal pieces to make it look authentic.  A yoke is a of wooden bar or frame that two animals (typically oxen) are joined at the heads or necks for working together.
Google Image
            As we continue in the process of renovating our home, I am tired. I know I’ll want to take that yoke when it is unpacked and keep it in my pocket to remind me of what
Matthew 11: 28 – 30 says.

“Are you tired?
Worn Out?
Burned out on religion?
Come to me
Get away with me
And you’ll recover your life.
I’ll show you how to take a real rest.
Walk with me
And work with me-
Watch how I do it.
Learn the unforced rhythms of grace.
I won’t lay anything
Heavy or ill fitting on you.
Keep company with me
And you’ll learn to live
Freely and lightly.”

I’ve discovered, parenting and renovating are similar in a lot of ways.  They can often be exhausting.  A real yoke is heavy and awkward by itself. 
Google Image
The yoke is meant to be shared.  God doesn’t want us to see our role as a mom as a yoke being pulled around alone.   He wants to be on the other side of the yoke working with us to make our jobs possible. 
Being in a yoke limits what the animals can do.  In the same way if we are yoked to the Lord, we will stay in step with Him and have access to His voice right in our ears.
          As the verses state; we need to lean in to Him; walk with Him; work with Him and let Him give us rest and enjoy His “unforced rhythms of grace.” Being a mom isn’t meant for us to do alone.  I’m grateful for the big reminder of my little yoke.



No comments:

Post a Comment