Monday, October 3, 2011

Why Parakaleo?

Our blog would be incomplete if we didn't share the history of how Parakaleo came about. A few months ago the Lord birthed the idea to start a Christian blog for moms. He encouraged 7 women to come on a journey and take a leap of faith. Most of who knew nothing about blogging, but there is something organic about that. Each woman blogs one day per week and brings something totally unique to the table. God hand picked each mom and we are humbled to serve together on this team. Be sure to check out the BIOS section at the bottom of the page to meet our group of ladies. Our prayer is that the Lord uses His word, His spirit, and our experiences to minister to your heart as we walk through this season of being a mom together.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, my name is Kate. I have lived in south Florida my whole life...yep a Floridian! Four years ago I left the teaching profession to go into full-time ministry...being a mommy. What a blessing! Life is busy but wonderful. I have two wonderful little boys, James (4) and Jack Jack (2), who love to explore! The Lord is continually using my sons to teach me lessons. They are fun and so very opposite of each other. It is challenging at times... but I wouldn't trade it for the world. Seven years ago I married my best friend, James...he is truly a gift from the Lord. Every day the Lord uses our marriage to refine me as we walk together in ministry. I pray the following blog encourages to you today.


Love is a Battlefield
“Love your neighbor as you love yourself.” – Luke 10:27

Everyone wants to feel loved and accepted. Life is hard and we desire friends who will stand by and encourage us. God wired us this way. I was reminded of this truth a few weeks ago as the boys and I ventured out one rainy morning to an inflatable kids play arena. We had the whole place to ourselves! It was wonderful! We enjoyed exploring and expending all the energy we had built up due to the crazy weather. Suddenly the atmosphere changed as the Lord put into motion a lesson He wanted my family to learn.

A group of older boys came running in. And I, being the over-protective mom, watched closely their interaction with my boys. Each time my son, James, tried to play with them they just ignored him and shooed him away. My son persisted and followed the boys through a tunnel which lead to a secluded area. I saw lots of movement and no response as I called his name. After a few moments, James managed to get out. He explained that the boys were kicking him after he accidentally fell on one of the them. My heart broke. I knew physically, he was beaten down but I also realized that emotionally he hurt as well. James just wanted to be accepted. Don’t we all.

It saddened me to watch my son hunger for friendship that wouldn't be offered. That must be how God feels as He watches us do the same to those in our path who so desperately need a friend yet we keep "playing." Whether four or thirty-four, we all want friends who will invite us into their "tunnel" of life. I experienced this when I first got married. I cried (literally) out to the Lord asking for some good Christian girlfriends. I was sad and felt so alone. Within a few weeks the Lord surprised me by allowing me to meet some sweet women who supported and encouraged me. The compassion shown by those women has never been forgotten. I remember their compassion for me and it has caused my heart to seek out those in need of a friend. There is something beautiful about having friends, in the same season of life, who understand and love you.

Was I friendly today? How did I love my neighbor? Did Christ shine through me to the woman at the park with kids, that co-worker, or cashier at the local grocer? Did I take time to share His love and offer peace to someone in need of a friend? So often, being consumed with my own agenda, I easily pass right by HIS. Our world is broken and hurting. We have something exciting to give them...the love of Christ. Invite them into your "tunnel" of life. So thankful each new day holds fresh opportunities to shine for Jesus.

Challenge: Pray and ask the Lord for an opportunity to reach out to someone who may need a friend. Or if you, like my son James, are in need of a friend cry out to Jesus and ask Him for one. Then, keep your eyes wide open because He might just surprise you and shake up your routine a little! HE wants to do great things in and through you today!

4 comments:

  1. Kate! Thanks so much for your message :) Truly I was encouraged today and the Lord has given me so much prayed about confirmation! Can't wait to hear more from you moms :) May the Lord richly bless all of you. I will be sharing your blog on my facebook page!
    In His Grace,
    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog Kate! Thanks for the encouraging word and challenge. Can't wait to read more!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was so touched by this blog post, Kate. It brought back memories of rejection from when I was in elementary school -- the playground can be such a tough place. I am so glad that God reaches into our wounded places and brings healing if we let Him. Thanks for the reminder that I need to be on the lookout for folks who need encouragement -- it's so easy to get tied up in the busyness of the day that I forget what's most important.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great blog! I have been blessed this week to read both, Kate and now Tammy's blog's. Wonderful and inspirational illustrations! Thank you for sharing this with us!-Lena

    ReplyDelete