Saturday, October 8, 2011

Failure is Not an Option

Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal. -2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Am I failure?" "What am I doing as a Mom?" "I can't do this anymore...it's just too hard." Many days I feel so ill-equipped as I take steps forward in parenting. Parakaleo, was pushed into existence partly because a friend shared with me that same hurt..."I feel like a failure as a mom." It resonated deep within my heart because I, too, have struggled with that thought. I felt so encouraged  knowing I'm not alone. Some days my boys are so challenging, and I can feel tired and defeated before the day has hardly begun. Often I look at my life and see myself struggling as a mom, and yet I neglect to recognize that the Lord causes it all to work together for my good (Romans 8:28). It seems there is always a lesson uncovered in each uncomfortable situation in my life. I just have to make sure my eyes are open and my heart is ready to receive it.

We have been given this amazing opportunity to raise up the next generation for Christ.  With this we have a huge target on our back from an enemy who wants to stump the process. Naturally, as women, we are thinkers...it's at the core of who we are. We think, think, and then think again. Knowing this, Satan whispers lies to us, causing us to veer off course. I once heard a pastor say that when you continually analyze a situation it causes you to be paralyzed from the work God is calling you to do. Thoughts of unworthiness cause us to push pause on the ministry God is doing in our lives. Will we stumble as moms? Yes. But it's what we do after we have fallen that even our grandkids will remember and be encouraged by later.  The Bible tells us not to lose heart, for that in due time we will reap a reward if we do not grow weary (Galatians 6:9).

As I struggle, the Lord gently reminds me to rely on His strength and wisdom daily.  Each day I must be willing to spend time with the Lord, and fight the battle of my flesh, when I want to turn my attention elsewhere. Christ will give me the strength to press on when my spirit is weak. What a small deposit for such a large return on my day. He sees when I hunger earthly encouragement and can't seem to find it. My maker knows me intimately (Psalm 139) and the exact words I long to hear. He whispers sweet words of encouragement on those days I question my calling. I am learning. Aren't we all?


I can relate in Exodus 4 to the story of how Moses questioned his calling. He gave excuses in his weakness instead of asking for direction from the One who owns the master plan. I have questioned God's plan for my life and wondered why me? God loves it when we admit our weakness because it allows Him to show up big on our behalf (2 Corinthians 12:10). The Lord was preparing Moses for battle with every experience he had. 

Exodus 17:11 As long as Moses held up his hands, the Israelites were winning, but whenever he lowered his hands, the Amalekites were winning.


Don't be discouraged...press on...you are not a failure. Ladies, raise your hands high towards heaven for strength in order to win this battle we call faith.

Challenge: What does 2 Corinthians 4:16-18 say to you? What has been your biggest challenge as a mom? What lesson did the Lord teach you through that circumstance?
Feel free to leave comments sharing how you overcame difficult challenges faced.


4 comments:

  1. Kate,
    As our day has hardly begun, I am reading this now. Up early and feeling a little defeated I am so thankful to hear your words. Even as I type the boys are arguing and it is so good to know that I am not the only one. You are such an encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Sista!! A lesson we will learn everyday huh? I love it that our Father has never failed, and yet His Son was tempted with the thought while He walked the on earth. Although, Jesus never "fell" into this temptation, what a sweet thought He prayed for His own mom not to be discouraged and now sits at the right hand of His Father making intercession for us! Proud of you Kate! Love you! j

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Ladies, raise your hands high towards heaven for strength in order to win this battle we call faith." Amen to that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Kate, I too have had many a days
    where I felt defeated and deflated, wondering if I am doing anything right. What a great reminder to keep my eyes and hands turned up to the one who is my strength and my almighty God who will lead me!:-) Thanks girl!

    ReplyDelete