Saturday, October 15, 2011

Gotta Live Like We're Dying

      "We only got 86,400 seconds in a day to
       Turn it all around or to throw it all away

       We gotta tell them that we love them
       While we got the chance to say
       Gotta live like we're dying
"
      -Lyrics from Kris' Allen's song "Live Like We're Dying" 
 



What if today was my last day here on earth? 
 
This thought came across my mind yesterday as I drove home from the grocery store with my boys. I absolutely love the remake by Kris Allen, "Live Like We're Dying" because each time I hear it I ponder my life and ask myself the question, "Am I living my life like it could be my last day?" As I turned around I saw my kids rockin' to the music (The boys & I are known to bop our heads to songs I LOVE and jam out with our windows down!!) and then my son noticed a rainbow in the sky. As we drove on we seemed to be getting closer to it while the colors became even more vibrant. At the next stop light I glanced a few lanes over only to see a person with their smart phone taking a picture of it. Then another car pulled up with the driver, looking straight ahead, completely missing the beautiful creation of God right in front of them.  Isn't that how we are with life sometimes? Missing the true beauty right before us because we are so focused on what lies a head or behind us. We are so busy planning tomorrow that we miss today.  In James 4:14 it says, "How do you know what will happen tomorrow? For your life is like the morning fog - it's here a little while, then it's gone." It has been mentioned from the pulpit, that as we leave church there is no guarantee we will be back the next week. What a thought, huh? 

How would my life change?


What would your day look like? What task would you be sure to do or complete? What friend would you treat to a coffee and try to reconnect with?  How would you respond in conflict and who would you forgive? What wounded relationship would you be sure to mend? Would you serve Christ more knowing you would be seeing him face to face sooner than expected? Would you write a note of encouragement to that person struggling with life? Would you give some food/cash to the man always asking at that light you pass each day? Would you judge less and assume the best? Would you have more patience with your kids? Would you go back in their room tonight with extra hugs & kisses to tell them how much you love them? Would you be sure to praise them for all the amazing attributes God placed within them? Would you smile at that neighbor with the stinky attitude who doesn't really deserve it? Would you tell someone who is lost about the love of Christ and eternal life? Would you....you fill in the blank.


The Somber Reality is...

Each time I rock out to that song there is a somber reality as I am reminded there is no guarantee for my tomorrow. It makes me think about my life and ponder how I'm living it. It makes me hunger that same Holy Spirit boldness to serve and pray with a complete stranger, in need of a friend, as Tammy shared. I want to be one who listens to the prompting of the Lord's still small voice as Teresa talked about. I want to be the mom who sees the amazing God-given qualities my kids possess, that stretch and challenge my faith some days, and trust HE is going to do great things with them like Joannie spoke of. I want to ask God what my main focus should be in this season of my life and hunker down and follow it as Maggie touched on. I want to prioritize and invite the Lord into my day, and agree to set aside some daily "closet time" like Courtney mentioned.  I want to have patience for His will to unfold for my life, and trust Him through the process knowing He has my best interest in mind like Tracey explained. I want to share with the lost, who hunger to fill "their void with temporal things", about the One who will fill every need until their cup runs over. As I write this I am realizing there is still so much I want to do before I go home to be with Jesus. At the end of my life I want to hear Him say, "Well done, good and faithful servant!" I am a work in progress and I am grateful He continues to teach me, with love, in the areas I struggle in, while providing GRACE as I learn. I've got a long way to go but I am so thankful for songs that convict and compel us to grow in our walk with Christ....especially if we can rock out to it in the process!


"Yeah, we gotta start
Looking at the hands of the time we've been given
If this is all we got and we gotta start thinking
If every second counts on a clock that's ticking
Gotta live like we're dying"


Challenge:

 
(1)Grab two note cards/ sticky notes and jot these down......
    (a) "Live Like I am Dying"  and post it on your bathroom mirror :)
    (b)  James 4:14- "How do you know what will happen tomorrow? 

          For your life is like the morning fog, it's here a little while, then it's gone." 
          Put this card somewhere you will see throughout your day...
          maybe on your car dash board (Not covering the gas gauge!) 
          or work desk, as a daily reminder that life is short...and the 
          Lord wants to do great things
          in and through you until He calls you home!
(2) Watch and see how your life becomes vibrant like the rainbow where others stare in wonder at the amazing gift in His creation...you!

Click the video below, or this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbfeSImDntw, and enjoy the song that inspired this post and... decide today to "live like you're dying"....








3 comments:

  1. Thanks for putting us in that mindset today, Kate. I had a friend post on fb that she needed prayer for not one, but two friends who had lost children last week. Our time is short, and any minute could be our call home. I know I will be hugging my kids a little tighter and longer as well as keeping this perspective in mind to try and live each moment as God would have me. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you Kate!! We are blessed to call you friend! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! Thank you Kate for speaking truth into the lives of others. You are a blessing.

    ReplyDelete