Sunday, October 30, 2011

Sowing the seed

Yesterday my boys and I had a great day in the beautiful downtown Chattanooga. We did just a little bit of schoolwork in the morning, then headed out to our favorite spot. We had our lunch on the blanket overlooking the Tennessee river and I spent the next hour watching them throw rocks in the river with great excitement. With my husband out of town, we didn't need to hurry home so I decided we would explore a different spot across the river and just spend the whole day in town. Not having my mind on anything in particular, I just strolled around following the boys wherever they wanted to go.
My 5 yr old started picking up different leaves and bringing them to me to keep. We’d walk a little further and he’d find more and bring them over for me to carry. I wondered if I was supposed to keep them for him or if he wouldn’t care that I tossed a few as we walked on.
Later on as I drove home I realized what he was doing. About two weeks ago our lesson for the week was learning about leaves. Projects included coloring, learning to recognize, etc. I asked them to go outside and collect 5 different leaves in a bag and bring it to me. I remember vividly getting really frustrated because they wouldn't complete this simple assignment. I tried 3 different times during that week and finally let it go. Now two weeks later, my son was completing his assignment, and being serious about it.

I then realized what God was teaching me. It takes time to see the fruit of our labor with our children as well as with ourselves. How many times can we hear the same message until finally we are "walking it". The principle of sowing and reaping is so true and we have to remember there is a gap of time in between so we can be patient. I’m called to simply sow into my boys but the results are left up to God. The timeframe when something is internalized in them and bears fruit, is up to God. It’s not my place to force it (just because next week we are starting another topic and I want them to get “this thing down”)
This really is teaching me when it comes to obiedience and discipline too. When one of the boys disobeys, I'd like instant repentance so we can be restored to God and eachother right away. Yet how long does it sometimes take me to realize I've sinned against someone and need to go to them and ask forgiveness. I can pout and wrestle with it for a day before I make it right. I need to have this awareness so my children don't just go through motions and complete a process mechanically without really being sorry and learning.
This cannot be hurried. Whether it's achademics or more importantly, spiritual matters. It's really freeing to me because if I look at them as individuals in the process of learning just like I am, I can give the results to God and not fret. He entrusted them to me for a time and He will bring the work in them to completion. All we are called to do is to be faithful to sow the seeds, water with reminders and patiently wait. God will make them into the people He desires.
“What, after all, is Apollos? And what is Paul? Only servants, through whom you came to believe—as the Lord has assigned to each his task. I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God has been making it grow. So neither the one who plants nor the one who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow. The one who plants and the one who waters have one purpose, and they will each be rewarded according to their own labor. For we are co-workers in God’s service; you are God’s field, God’s building.” I Cor.3:5-9

Knowing God, it will not be long before you do see results of your hard work in your children.
As an encouragement to yourself today, make a list of things you are thankful for in your children. Things that are a direct result of something you taught, enforced and reminded them often of. And be blessed, seeing them so very different from the world and more like Gods offspring. Know that your reward is coming.


2 comments:

  1. Maggie, Thanks for your post. Once again I am blessed. I appreciate your insight. It is amazing what we expect from our litte ones that we find difficult ourselves...like instant forgiveness. Then what really ends up happening is they just hit their brother and say sorry while they do it:) Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maggie that was beautiful! Such a great reminder that the fruit takes time and we must have patience and wait. That verse was so applicable because of it's great truth that it is God who makes things grow. HIS timing is perfect! What a blessing it is that He allows us to be a vessel HE uses in that process!

    ReplyDelete