Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Stolen Moments




What a beautiful picture of a calm and peaceful place. There was a time when I could lay back and go there in my mind as I sat in prayer and worship. Though life was busy, it seemed I had all the time in the world to get alone with God, daydream, or just do whatever, whenever. When I became a wife and then a mother, I had to quickly learn to be unselfish and give up much of what I was used to in the way of how my time and energy were spent. Getting ready to leave the house used to take me about 15 minutes as I just had to make myself presentable, grab my purse and keys, and I was out the door. Now, it's diaper changes, filling juice cups, grabbing snacks and toys, and making sure the diaper back is packed with every possible item we may need on our trip out. Then, inevitably, there is a diaper emergency or some sort of spill and we need to go back and change clothes. Just as we are ready to walk out the door, I realize I have to go to the bathroom, and I actually contemplate how long I can 'hold it' just so we can get a move on... until I consider the alternative is figuring out the logistics of using a public restroom with 2 small children in tow. What used to take 15 minutes now takes at least double that, and more often than not, my personal primping is limited to light make-up and the ever-fashionable ponytail. Can anyone else relate?






But it doesn't end there. As all mommies know, there is always someone or something demanding your focus and attention. If it isn't your kids, it's mount laundry, a phone call, dishes piling up in the sink, grocery shopping, doctor visits, making time to be alone with your spouse, etc. The bottom line is there is very little time in the day to get alone and be still before the Lord. Even in my thought life I am usually limited to those quiet few moments I have in the shower and devotional time just before going to sleep when I lay in bed and read the Bible. And I thought being a stay at home mother would give me all the time in the world, right? ... but such is the life of a busy mommy and wife, and I honestly would not have it any other way. It's my life, and I love it and thank God for it. It's just crazy busy!



This particular day was much like any other. Up with Susie's wake up 'feed me' call at 6:30 a.m., quick sip of coffee while I check e-mail and read the daily e-mail devotional, take the kids for a walk and to the gym, shower, and get in a quick run to the grocery store before heading home for lunches, naps, and housework. As we were heading home from our trip, I switched the radio from our usual Wiggles CD to some of 'mommy's music', my mind running through what was to be done as soon as we walked in the door. I turned on the local Christian station and began listening to the words of a beautiful song that started out "Be still, there is a healer. His love is deeper than the sea..." I was drawn in to the beautiful melody and wanted to hear more when the song suddenly turned to static as I was stopped at a red light behind a huge truck. I began to slowly inch my car up to try and get the station back, getting way too close to the truck in front of me. It was pointless, all I got was more static.





So, I started up a mental conversation with God. He often uses music to speak to our hearts, and I felt He was telling me to be still at this moment, however short it would be, and focus and reflect on His healing touch in my life. I thought about sinful choices I have made in the past, the moments I thought I would never experience the joy of a loving, Christ-centered marriage or being a mommy, and how much the Lord has given me in such a short time in my life. I began to tear up and just thanked God for my husband, my children, and for His mercy and healing. In this moment Psalm 103:2 was brought to life, in my car, at a random stoplight.






Right about that time the light turned green, and the song kicked back in to the chorus "As I pour out my heart these things I remember. You are faithful God, forever. Let faith arise." (Chris Tomlin is an incredible singer/writer!) I sang along unashamed of what drivers next to me thought as they looked through my window and saw me in full on worship as I drove. (I must have looked pretty strange judging from their sideways glances.) In just those few brief moments of prayer and worship, I was filled.



When my kids are old enough to be alone for a few moments safely, I fully plan on taking wisdom from Courtney's previous blog and putting 'closet time' into action. Until then, I will take advantage of these brief moments to be still before God, listening and praising. He created time, and He exists outside of it. Sometimes we only have a few moments here and there to be still before our God, but He is not confined by the same time limits that we are, and He can pour more into us in those few moments of complete surrender than we realize. I encourage you to do the same. Set aside time in your schedule to read the Bible and pray, but also take advantage of those 'stolen moments' to reflect and thank Him and ask Him to fill and re-energize you.


Here is a link to the song I spoke of called "I Lift My Hands"by Chris Tomlin. If you have a few moments now, I pray it will touch your heart and lift you up.




Prayer- Dear Jesus, I thank you for all of the wonderful gifts you have so graciously given me. I thank you for a life that is filled with so many blessings that keep me busy, and I pray that you will fill me up with your Spirit that I may surrender myself completely to you. May my every thought, word, and action be guided by you. Please help me to set aside time each day to read your Word and be filled. Please help me to take advantage of those opportunities to be still, reflect, and praise you, however brief they may be. May I make time spent with you top priority in my life. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen.

For Reflection and Meditation-

Knowing that God exists outside of time and space, make every effort to make the most out of the time He has given you (because each moment is a gift!) and offer some of this time as a daily sacrifice to the Lord by setting all else aside and spending it with Him. Every second spent with Him counts; remember, 'all the time in the world' was created by His design! Every moment your mind is spent in worry or anxious thoughts is one less moment spent in prayer and conversation with the One who loves you the most. Lift your hands, pour out your heart, and remember His faithfulness.

4 comments:

  1. How sweet He is!! Tammy, Thank you for the reminder of stolen moments. He is always ready for our moments to become His!! What a gentle God we serve. Enjoy the moment of His day! Proud of you girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every moment your mind is spent in worry or anxious thoughts is one less moment spent in prayer and conversation with the One who loves you the most.....WOW WOW WOW...what a way to look at it Tammy! I know as moms we can tend to worry or be anxious over things that will probably never even happen. What a great reminder, if worry creeps in... we can instead allow that to push us into prayer time to talk it out with the Lord and be refreshed! Great post my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen, Tammy! I ditto Kate's comment. Praying when I feel the urge to worry...I am going to hold on to that truth! :) I am loving what God is teaching us through this blog as we encourage each other! Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Tammy, for this. It so takes us off guard when God plans for His spirit to touch our hearts at a time when we're not expecting it, but it just shows that He is in control. Great post!

    ReplyDelete