Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Answering His Call





The phone call started out something like this, “Honey, I just did something very stupid, and you have every right to be upset with me. But we are all fine, and I really felt the Lord was calling me to do it.” Never a good way to start out a conversation, but I knew how bad my story was going to sound to my husband. Gotta love how Rick calmly just asked what happened, despite what was probably running through his mind after my abrupt confession.



I had just run out to the grocery store to grab a few sale items, and as we were leaving, a woman walked up to the minivan in front of me and struck up an animated conversation with the driver. I patiently waited for several minutes until cars began pulling up behind me, when I gently tapped on my horn to get things moving. The van pulled away, and I politely waved to the woman in a ‘no hard feelings’ kind of way. She looked very troubled and began talking to me through the window.




She asked for directions to a nearby intersection, and I pointed out how she was to get there. She then explained that she was pregnant (which was clear to see) and had fallen asleep on the bus and missed her stop. It was about 90 degrees out, and her stop was 2 miles away. She asked for a ride and then said something along the lines of “Lord, Jesus, please give me some help”.


Here is where I do something rather unwise and completely out of character. I looked in the backseat at my girls, back at the cars lining up behind me, and then back at the woman. I knew I wasn’t going to say no, despite the risks -which my husband would later lovingly warn me of as he walked through possible scenarios of how this could have gone down. This woman needed help, called upon the Lord for it, and He gave my heart a very clear direction that this is what I was supposed to do. (I will be honest that I sized her up and decided I could take her, if it came to that.) I almost could not believe the words coming out of my mouth as I said “Okay, get in.” Even as I leaned over and unlocked the door, I had this urge to be like "Ummm... nevermind!" and drive away pedal to the metal.




As we drove the 2 miles to Lucy’s destination, she began talking to me about her life, the difficulties with the baby’s father, the surprise of this pregnancy, etc. I listened (and watched her hands very carefully, ready to go into attacking mother bear mode at any moment) and prayed silently about what the Lord would have me share with this woman.... and that He would keep us safe... and that my husband would not freak on me when I told him about this later.




Once we arrived, I asked her if I could pray with her. She was very thankful and said yes. I began praying and found myself saying something like “Lord, may Lucy only put into her body what would nourish this baby”. I was horrified at my own words! I certainly had not planned or thought to say that, and I was immediately concerned at how she would react to what could have been taken as an accusation that she was doing drugs. After I closed the prayer, I looked up into her eyes, and she began to cry and say thank you over and over. She told me I had no idea how much she needed that specific prayer. (Thank you Father for your Holy Spirit!)



We parted ways, and I thanked the Lord for His protection and for allowing me to be used by Him and not miss out on this opportunity to be His servant. He gave me a divine appointment where He called me to be obedient, place the protection of my family in His hands, and be used in this woman’s life. And while I gave my husband my word I would never give a stranger a ride again, we both realized through this experience that the Lord still calls us from time to time to step out of our comfort zones and wants us to serve Him beyond our roles as wife and mommy. I desire to keep my eyes, mind, and heart open to serving Him whenever He calls and set an example for my children to do the same.



Prayer- Dear Heavenly Father, please help me to always be ready to obey and to serve you, realizing that every time I step outside of my door, you may have a divine appointment waiting for me. In the midst of my busy day, please help me to look for opportunities to help a neighbor in need and set a godly example for my children. Please place your hand of protection upon my family that my focus may be on you and your will knowing that you go before me and surround me. May I be a tool in your hands. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen.


For Meditation and Action:
Has the Lord called you to step out of your comfort zone and help a stranger in need?
How can you practically and safely get your children involved in serving the community around you?

Begin to look for ways to serve Him outside of your home and model for your children what it looks like to love your neighbor.

1 comment:

  1. WOW! WOW! WOW! What an amazing story and amazing ending. It is such an awesome thing how the Lord prompted you to do something outside of your comfort zone, you obeyed, and HE met you there with comfort, peace and words of encouragement for someone in need. Such a great reminder that when HE prompts...HE provides. And the result is a GLORY story for us to tell others of how big our God is and how intimately He knows us and cares about the small details of our life. "But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure. It is also peace loving, gentle at all times, and willing to yield to others. It is full of mercy and good deeds. It shows no partiality and is always sincere." - James 3:17. Well done Tammy both in this blog post and in life my friend!

    ReplyDelete