Saturday, October 29, 2011

Pray for Me




"If you need wisdom, ask our generous God, and he will give it to you. He will not rebuke you for asking." - James 1:5

Last Saturday was a busy chaotic day, and it began in the wee hours of the morning as I awoke to my son having a nightmare. After praying with him and laying down in his bed until he fell asleep (@ 4:40 am) it seemed the morning came so quickly. Then it was off to watch our son, James, take to the field for his second soccer game. After lunch we ran lots of errands, had no nap and were so tired by the time the afternoon came. With my boys, dressed as Bob the Tomato and Larry the Cucumber, we ventured out to the annual "Harvest Gathering" at my mom's preschool. Once there, we experienced tons of fun and LOTS of candy. My boys LOVE candy but it affects their behavior...almost instantaneously!

I drove home emotionally exhausted and physically drained from our busy day. The boys were hyper on their sugar "high" and screaming in the back seat,and our ride home seemed like eternity. I turned around and not-so-lovingly "shared' that they needed to stop trying to frustrate Mommy by screaming and settle down. After turning around I happen to notice, while smoke was exiting my ears, the woman in the mini van next to me deliberately waiting to make eye contact with me. Once our eyes connected, she nonchalantly gave me a "Get over it, it's not that big of a deal...just enjoy it" kind of a look followed by a shrug.


Driving away, my eyes teared up because she had no idea the kind of day I had experienced. I wish she would have rolled her window down and offered to pray for me. OK so I know that is far-fetched but it got my mind thinking of how often we think we know a situation, just from how it looks on the outside, and are quick to give our opinion before knowing all the details. It's so easy to judge isn't it? Frequently, as moms, we feel deflated only to turn our heads and see friends or family "lovingly" sharing their opinion with us on our struggles, how they would do it, and the idea that if I just followed their path it would all be better.

I LOVE how in times of frustration the Lord lovingly whispers, "Kate, you do that too." It is humbling because so often I can think I am outside of doing "that" until the Holy Spirit shows me otherwise :) It is so not fun having someone watch and judge you without knowing the whole story. Yet I so often find myself doing that to others. Instead of having compassion and praying for those I see struggling, I will choose to complain to another or allow it to bug me for a while. Why don't I bring it before Christ immediately and seek the One who can truly change the situation. Last year I had a sticky note on my dresser that read "Assume the Best." I need to re-post it back up there. I need a change in my perspective. I need to encourage instead of cut down. I need to pray instead of judge. I need to be reminded that there is only One who knows it all. I need to seek His face daily.



Challenge:

Would people characterize me as an encourager or one who tends to have a judgmental bent?

In times of difficulty I need to be quick to encourage rather than allow my tongue to cut down. How are you doing in this area? What changes need to be made in your life so you can "Assume the Best" in others?

This week ask HIM for more compassion. Pause to pray for those HE puts in your path who are struggling.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the word Kate! We all struggle with this I'm sure! You are one who encourages :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen, Kate! I too often judge instead of pray. What a great reminder! By the way, I think you are THE BEST ENCOURAGER I know!!! Keep it up! :)
    Love, Teresa

    ReplyDelete