Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Unite and Conquer


The other day my husband and I had caught a bit of an interview with actor and war hero JR Martinez. In 2003, this man sustained severe burns to over 40 percent of his body while serving in the US Army in Iraq. At some point following this event, this man made a choice to not let his circumstances define him. He chose to rise above and rather than hide to avoid being judged by his 'different' appearance; he chose instead to put himself out there in the public view as an actor. Wow- in a society obsessed with outward appearances, this was such a brave and bold move.

As I pause to reflect on hardships and trials in my life, I realize that as Christians, we can at times not necessarily forget God's grace and goodness, but we certainly choose to focus on what we don't yet have or what we wish God would change in our lives. In a Bible study I recently attended, the speaker said this, "Your circumstances don't define you, your reaction to them does." Such a sobering thought. This man reacted in such a way that said he decidedly was not going to take this lying down. He would live his life as a victor rather than a victim. While I cannot speak to his relationship with the Lord, I do believe that this is what the Lord is calling us to do. He tells us we are more than conquerors.

Romans 8:31-39
What, then, shall we say in response to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all—how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things? Who will bring any charge against those whom God has chosen? It is God who justifies. Who then is the one who condemns? No one. Christ Jesus who died—more than that, who was raised to life—is at the right hand of God and is also interceding for us. Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? As it is written:

“For your sake we face death all day long;
we are considered as sheep to be slaughtered.”

No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.


We need to live as conquerors through our faith in Christ and teach this to our children. They watch every action, word, and reaction as they are developing their own character. Let's set our minds to be the kind of moms that model what it is like to live a life convinced that nothing can separate us from the love of God, and the kind of moms who act and react to trials as more than conquerors through Him who loves us.

This isn't to say that our children should never see us cry. On the contrary, we are also responsible to teach them how to deal with emotions in a healthy way and that to everything there is a season and there is, in fact, a time to cry. (Ecclesiastes 3) We need to be sure our actions, thoughts, and words are also bathed in humility because taking this 'conqueror mentality' to extreme can produce pride, which is not God's heart for us. It is not in our own strength, but in His that we have the victory.

In light of this, let's ask ourselves: Am I facing a trial or hardship right now? Is my reaction to this situation honoring the Lord? Have I allowed my circumstances, past or present, to define me? Is my character such that I would want my children to model it in their own trials in life? If not, the time is now to ask God to help us grow and mature in our faith and handle these trials and hardships with His grace.

Another quote from a wise teacher- "Every moment has a beginning and an end." This too shall pass, and you will eventually come out on the other side of it. These matters are temporal, but our God is not.

We need to also keep in mind that the outcome may not always be what we want it to be. That should not change our reaction. I once heard a story of a woman with terminal cancer who, though she eventually passed away, chose to not let her illness define and defeat her. Cancer was just the carriage God used to drive her home. And though the ride was bumpy at times, she decided to sit back and enjoy it, living each day she had left with enthusiasm, joy, faith, and appreciation. God could have taken her suddenly, instead He gave her precious time with her loved ones. She chose to put her trust in the Author of her life and live out a happy ending and new beginning. That could not have been easy, but nothing worth doing usually is.

As sisters in Christ, we need to unite and conquer by reaching out to each other and being a source of support, encouragement, and wisdom. We also need to be sure to spend less time talking about the problem, and more time praying through our reaction and for God's wisdom. You may not be able to change your circumstances, nor can you change the people around you, (ref Proverbs 12:3) but you are the only one responsible for deciding what your reaction will be. Remember, little eyes and little hearts are watching you, taking everything in, and learning how to behave as modeled by you.

It's not enough just to read the Word of God. We need to start living like we believe that every word is true. The Word of God is alive and active. It is sharper than any double-edged sword. (Hebrews 4) Ladies, let's pick up our swords, hold firmly to the faith we profess, and not let our circumstances define us. Instead, let our reactions to them be such that our children arise and call us blessed. (Prov. 31) Let our battle cry be "If God is for us, who can be against!"

Prayer: Great and Mighty God, I believe in You and Your Word. Please help me to see this situation I am faced with as a light and temporary trial. Please help me to recognize that not only is my own character being shaped and molded through this trial, but also those of my children. May my reaction be pleasing to You and a model to them. May I be a source of strength and support to my husband as we face this together. May it draw our family closer to you and each other. Please help me to daily pick up my sword and hold firmly to my faith in you. May we be more than conquerors through You, Jesus. Search me, God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen.

For Meditation and Action: Take a close look at the way you have personally handled past trials and hardships. Do not condemn yourself, but rather look to God's character as a model for how He would have you react. Start today to allow the Lord to change you from the inside. Allow Him to mold you and shape you as the Potter (Isaiah 64:8) molds the clay, placing it into the fire to make it stronger. Use each trial as an opportunity to teach your children grace, self-control, firm faith, and wisdom to see beyond the moment. Set your mind and heart to live your life as more than a conqueror and teach your children to do the same.

Say to yourself "I will not let _________ define and defeat me. My hope and faith is in You Lord. We will conquer this together." Believe it and live it! Remember it every time you feel like throwing yourself a pity party, and instead make plans for your victory celebration!

2 comments:

  1. Wow!! I'm just now getting a moment to read your blog entry, Tammy, and it is speaking directly to my heart. All morning, I've been feeling discontent in so many areas of my life and God has spoken through you the words I needed to hear. It's really amazing how that happens if we let it. So, thank you for allowing Him to work through you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AMEN! How powerful your words are. God has put a conviction in your heart that I can hear loud and clear through the written word. It's beautiful. Thank you for sharing your heart.

    ReplyDelete