Wednesday, February 18, 2015

"Working It Out" by Fran Maynard

James 1:27 Religion that is pure and undefiled before God, the Father, is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world.
What is your favorite book?  Was it life changing or maybe a momentary escape from the crazy of your life?  Recently the books I’ve read, the scriptures I’ve been studying, the documentaries we've watched, all point to one thing, that we live in a sad and fallen world...  
Philippians 2:12 Therefore my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.
I am in a place of working out my salvation.  Maybe you’ve been here too?  Don’t get me wrong I know and love Jesus deeply, but I am terribly saddened by all that is happening around us.  I often wonder why we get to Iive and flourish with an abundance of plenty while people less fortunate then us are starving and dying.  And so our family is taking some time to figure out what this means to us...
But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves James 1:22
Please don’t miss this important point, as mammas we have a primary responsibility to our families and that is to honor and respect our husbands and to raise up disciples.  Lately I am feeling strongly that we also need to make it our mission to incorporate meeting the needs of others through prayer, the gospel, food, basic needs, and the giving of our time and resources.  Hopefully if we are doing this right our children will see our lives shift from revolving around us to being more about those around us. (To those of you who are already doing this, YAH!!!)
Some simple ideas to do this: 
I heard this one from a friend and I can't wait to try it.  Your family chooses a country you want to pray for and then makes a meal from that country, all the while taking time to pray for them throughout your day and night or week.  You could go to a soup kitchen or write to someone in prison.  Try praying as a family for ways to serve our Lord and be ready to go and do.  Maybe make a meal for a single mom or a widow.  Go on a family missions trip or cut down on your luxuries to give to a family who is adopting or who is a missionary.  

Lord Jesus we come to You from this broken world and implore You to fix our eyes on what matters most to You.  Please Lord change our hearts to desire a way of life that reaches others for your glory.  Lord help us to love your people the best way that we can.  Give us those opportunities Lord, we are able, willing, and ready... AMEN    
Matthew 25:35-40For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.  THen the righteous will answer him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? And when did we see you sick or in prision and visit you?’ And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.’

Isaiah 1:17 Say no to wrong.  Learn to do good.
Work for justice.  Help the down-and-out.
Stand up for the homeless.  Go to bat for the defenseless.
 




2 comments:

  1. Great post, Fran! Thanks for the practical suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's totally a flesh vs spirit war! thanks for posting this - needed it.

    ReplyDelete