Friday, February 27, 2015

Attractive Transparency

               My eldest is asking, "Why would I want to have children?"
If I asked you if you liked being a mom…I’m thinking you are going to say a resounding, “YES!”
            If I asked you if you would recommend motherhood to married women, I think the answer would be another, “Yes!”
            Our churches and culture have in recent years encouraged a spirit of authenticity and relatability.  I continue to support the thought behind this.  As believers in Jesus its ok to be normal, to recognize the challenges of living in this sin fallen world and specifically that we “become clean” by being honest about our lives.
            It is in this thought process that I find myself in a quandary as I consider a blog post. That being said, how do we “be” transparent about life’s struggles and our personal battles and issues without living in a tailspin of despair and disillusionment?
            I think you know what I mean.  There are certain people we find ourselves avoiding because they are always being...shall I say, “transparent.”  They live in a constant snapshot of Instagram.  They share such details as how bad they slept, which leads to how they couldn’t get out of bed on time and then ran late all day.  Which turned into; no time for breakfasts, or quiet time or (heaven forbid) coffee.  They had a rotten day at work with co-workers, the children fussed and argued and wouldn’t do their homework or chores.  Get the picture? 
            I mean social media gives a whole new angle to “getting real.”  I know where they ate, who they were with, what they did, where they will go in the future, what music, TV program, app, font…and on and on the details go.  All in an attempt to “be real.”
            All that said, “Why would anyone want to have children, if your life was the only one they had ever watched?”  I ask this because I’m being asked.  If all the younger generation (including our children in our homes) only see us “being real” talking about “all I have to do…” and “how tired I am” and “we have no money” and “this kid is driving me crazy” do we think we are encouraging them to consider parenthood?

Titus 2: 9
“…so that in every way they will make the teaching about God our Savior attractive.”

            It is important to be real.  It is important to express our emotions and debrief our day.  I think the most important aspect of this transparent existence is choosing to what extent we need to tell all.
            I’m really not suggesting hypocrisy or duplicity.  Rather, I am asking that we consider to what extent we “tell all” or “withhold nothing.”  Proverbs has much to say about the wise who can hold their tongues.  Ecclesiastes says there is a time for everything.  May we be prudent as we consider what we share.

            I want our eldest to someday say, "YES! we want children! One of our reasons include attractive transparency by the parents we know!" May we be ever mindful of making our transparency attractive. 

No comments:

Post a Comment