Saturday, May 2, 2015

"Forgiveness" by Stacey Wooddell Imbimbo


Repent, then, and turn to God, 
so that your sins may be wiped out, 
that times of refreshing 
may come from the Lord - Acts 3:19

We were heading to the beach, meeting some friends at our favorite splash pad.
I was driving down Atlantic Ave thinking about how difficult the morning had been.  The kids were touchy and getting on each other’s nerves. 
 They were having a hard time listening and obeying.
There was lots of disciplining, reminding and redirecting.
It was slightly chaotic, and I was rushing around getting everything ready for our “fun day at the beach”. 
Then it happened….I lost it!   
It wasn’t pretty….
My words were NOT kind, my patience was GONE, and I had had enough.
Have you ever had one of those days?
In my heart I knew I had to do it….it wasn’t easy but it was so important.
I had to ask for their forgiveness.
I was wrong.
There I was, driving our minivan, letting them know that I was so sorry that I was not being kind. I was so sorry for the words I used.
Will you please forgive me?
As I watched from the rear view mirror, they were smiling saying “that’s ok, we forgive you” “we love you” “its fine mom”.
Children are such a beautiful picture of true forgiveness. 
They hold no grudges, they keep no record of wrongdoings.
We parked, hugs and kisses, and off they went to play.
It was such a great lesson for me as the mom.
 It was hard to humble myself to admit my failure to my kids. But, I was encouraged by their actions of quick forgiveness. 
As our children are following in our footsteps, watching our every move, hearing our every word, may they see us ask for forgiveness.

No comments:

Post a Comment