Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Intentional Concentrated Attention

Our five year-old Matthew and I were up early the other day so we went for a brisk morning walk together and talked along the way.  His sister and daddy were still asleep when we returned home so we started breakfast together.  Then another day he saw me reading my Bible so he got his Illustrated Children’s Bible (New Testament) out and we read together from that.  Both of these cool moments were totally unplanned by me.   I feel honored when I get these concentrated opportunities with my son and I’m thinking he likes it too.

“My son, pay attention to my wisdom; Lend your ear to my understanding, That you may preserve discretion, And your lips may keep knowledge.” Proverbs 5:1-2

A friend gave me a great advice about “dating” my son.  She encouraged me to take just him out to eat and let him talk.  Speaking from wisdom she let me in on a thing or two about boys/guys – they talk over food.  Mommas, if we spend this concentrated time with our sons on a regular basis, they will be comfortable talking to us about anything… and probably setting them up to be able to communicate well with a wife someday, too.

I also witnessed this intentional concentration on one child at a time through my mother-in-law who was a foster mom of many children at a time.  She would set aside her schedule and the child’s schedule to spend that day dedicated to that child.  Usually it was just for a few hours or just to a certain place the child really enjoyed.  Come to think of it, she did this with me too when I was dating my husband, before marriage.  It’s a time to listen, encourage, listen, have fun, listen, observe, and oh did I mention to listen?

Leave a comment below if you do this and what benefits you’ve experienced as a result of purposefully concentrating time on the children in your care, one at a time.  

No comments:

Post a Comment