Wednesday, January 7, 2015

A Remedy for Post Holiday Fatigue

Happy New Year, moms, mommys, mamas, mothers! I pray this blog finds you rested, energized, refreshed and ready to tackle 2015 with some prayed over goals for the new year and Jesus by your side.  If that's the case, there's no stopping you!


As for me, Christmas is still going on at our house!  Our tree is still up and I'm still wearing my Christmas penguin pajama pants and enjoying every last, lingering moment sitting in front of the tree (hee hee).  I love Christmas! Always have.  Each year, I intend to do less and enjoy more peaceful nights at home with the Lord, my family, and our tree.  Yet, despite my best efforts at reducing our activities each year, Christmas seems to come and go faster than the year before!  Maybe it's because I'm getting older or because our son is getting older, but the trend continues.  So, it seems, that some of my most restful, reflective moments in front of our tree happen after Christmas is over.   That's when I can hear His still small voice and tonight He is saying:


"Come to me all you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy to bear and the burden I give you is light." - Matthew 11:28-30.

I was happy, but tired most of last month.  There's a lot that goes on in the last quarter of the year!  From the start of the school year and cold/flu season to fall festivals, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's, our culture packs a lot into a few short months!  As moms, we will be tired, especially when we try to do and serve in our own strength.  When I don't spend daily, quality time with the Lord, I, and others, see more of me and less of  Him.  I become more selfish, I desire more recognition for all that I do and my mercy jars start to leak out of invisible holes.  I run on empty by the end of December because I haven't spent enough time with the Lord to be filled so that I can pour His love and mercy out on others.  Every time I try to keep on going and neglect daily, quality time with the Lord to get a few more things done, He reminds me of the error of my ways! Gently, of course, because He is a gentleman.  He reminds me of His love for me and that His mercy jars don't have any holes.  They never leak.  Isn't that amazing? 


Here's a proposed remedy for post holiday fatigue:


1)  Spend daily, quality time with the Lord this week. Receive grace and give grace.
2)  Rest.
3) While you still remember the season, take a few notes in your phone about what you will do again next year and what you will skip or do differently to create more "silent and holy nights." The best suggestion I heard this year was to sit down with your husband early in the season (think Dec 1 or even Nov 30!) and have each of you identify those 2-3 things you definitely want to do and those you don't.  Then schedule them.  You could do this as a family, too. Pray, be selective, prioritize those activities that highlight the coming of our savior, and know that you may have to let some things go. We can't do it all, moms, but we can do all that He wills us to in His strength. 


Let's pray.  Dear God, thank you for a beautiful season celebrating the birth of your son, our savior.  Thank you for the best gift our world has ever known.  For those of us who ran hard and fast, give us your rest, renew us, refresh us, remind us of your grace, love and simple truths.  Give us the wisdom in 2015 to know when to say yes and when to say no.  In all things, may we grow in you, Jesus.  May we better reflect your life, love and sacrifice.  In your mighty name we pray, Amen.


Happy New Year, sweet sisters!





No comments:

Post a Comment