Saturday, November 29, 2014

"I Wanna Be Like You" by Stacey Wooddell Imbimbo


I wanna be like you
I wanna walk like you
Talk like you, too
You'll see it's true
These lyrics from The Jungle Book have been my oldest son’s theme song for the past two weeks.
Isaiah is 11 months older than his brother Micah; they really don’t remember a time without the other.
As Mom, I have dressed them alike or very similar to one another.
So, maybe this is my fault.......
They are now at the age of wanting to choose their own clothes and unfortunately my oldest must be dressed JUST LIKE his younger brother.
If Micah chooses long sleeves than Isaiah must have long sleeves.
If the coveted Superman shirts are available then they both must wear them.
As parents we want to empower our children to make their own decisions and choices and be proud of those choices, stand firm, and not waiver.
We try to encourage Isaiah to make up his own mind and celebrate that God made him special, and that it’s okay to have different choices than your brother.
As I think about Isaiah, I find myself perusing Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest.
Sometimes I want to be just like them.
I look at what other moms are doing with their kiddos, and I compare.
I wanna do that craft.
I wanna go to that Disney park.
I wanna have a house like that.
I am reminded that I have my own choices, and decisions, and it’s okay to have things different from other moms.
I need to celebrate the fact that God has given me this particular time in my life to be the best mom that I can be for my kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment